Calculating Distance Traveled by a Car's Sound Emission

In summary, the distance the car moves in one period of the sound emitted from the horn is 0.1362 meters. This is determined by multiplying the period of the sound (4.54 ms) by the velocity of the car (30 m/s). The wavelength of the sound is 1.55722 meters and the apparent wavelength depends on the observer's position.
Eng67
I am having a problem with the following question.

A car is moving at 30 m/s. The cars horn is emmitting a 220 hz sound. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. How far does the the car move in one period of the sound emitted from the horn.

I am having a problem determining the distance formula.
The period of the 220 hz sound is 1/220hz = 4.54 ms

so in 4.54 ms the sound has traveled 1.55722 meters (343 * .00454)

Now the distance the car travels would be (4.54 ms * 30 m/s) = .1362 meters

Is this the correct way to go about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eng67 said:
I am having a problem with the following question.

A car is moving at 30 m/s. The cars horn is emmitting a 220 hz sound. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. How far does the the car move in one period of the sound emitted from the horn.

I am having a problem determining the distance formula.
The period of the 220 hz sound is 1/220hz = 4.54 ms

so in 4.54 ms the sound has traveled 1.55722 meters (343 * .00454)

Now the distance the car travels would be (4.54 ms * 30 m/s) = .1362 meters

Is this the correct way to go about this problem?
Yes. 1.557 meters is the wavelength of the sound: [itex]\lambda = v/f[/itex]. The apparent wavelength depends on where the observer is. If the observer is behind the car, the wavelength appears to be 1.557+.1362. If the observer is in front, it is .1557 - .1362.

AM

Thanks!

I thought I was correct in my calculations.

1. What causes the sound problem in car physics?

The sound problem in car physics is typically caused by issues with the engine or exhaust system. This can include worn out components, damaged parts, or incorrect tuning.

2. How can I fix the sound problem in my car's physics?

The best way to fix a sound problem in your car's physics is to have a professional mechanic diagnose and repair the issue. This may involve replacing damaged components, adjusting the tuning, or making other repairs as needed.

3. Is the sound problem in car physics dangerous?

In most cases, the sound problem in car physics is not dangerous. However, if the issue is related to a damaged or malfunctioning part, it could potentially lead to more serious problems if left unaddressed.

4. Can I still drive my car if it has a sound problem in its physics?

It is generally not recommended to continue driving your car if it has a sound problem in its physics. This could potentially cause further damage and lead to more expensive repairs in the long run. It is best to have the issue addressed as soon as possible.

5. How can I prevent sound problems in my car's physics?

Regular maintenance and proper care of your car can help prevent sound problems in its physics. This includes following recommended service schedules, using quality parts and fluids, and addressing any potential issues as soon as they arise.