1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound question please help

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two loudspeakers face each other at opposite ends of a long corridor. They are connected to the same sourrce that produces a pure tone of 343Hz. A person walks from one speaker towards the other at a speed of 0.7ms-1
    What beat frequency does the person hear?
    speed of sound= 343ms-1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the beat frequency equals the frequency of one take the frequency of the second. So if this is right does that mean it is 343 minus the second frequency. Can someone pleasae tell me if this is correct and any hints on how to work out the second frequency please. Thankyou

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Using the doppler effect wright down the expression for the apparent freqency of the source heard by the observer while moving from one speaker to another. Note that he is going away from one speaker and moving towards the other.

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    thanks for the help. I got the right answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?