1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Question

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The distance between a loudspeaker and the left ear of a listener is 1.90 m.

(a) Calculate the time required for sound to travel this distance if the air temperature is 20°C.

2. Relevant equations
    I am not sure, I tried looking in my text...but the only equation I could come up with is velocity = sqroot(ykT/m)
    where y = specific heat, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the given temp in K, and m is the distance..

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea where to even start, because only 2 things are known x in meters and the Temp 20 deg or 293 K. Can anyone help me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need the speed of sound in air. You can either look up the experimental real value or use the ideal gas approximation root(ykT/m) but here m is the molar mass of air not the distance!
    You then use speed and distance to get the time.
  4. Jan 15, 2008 #3
    what equation can you solve for time by having speed and distance?
  5. Jan 15, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you realy mean to write that!
    What is the definition of speed?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?