Calculating Sound Travel Time at 20°C

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of time required for sound to travel 1.90 meters at an air temperature of 20°C. The equation for velocity is mentioned, and the importance of using the correct molar mass is emphasized. The concept of using speed and distance to calculate time is also brought up, along with a reminder to use the appropriate equation.
sheri1987

Homework Statement

The distance between a loudspeaker and the left ear of a listener is 1.90 m.

(a) Calculate the time required for sound to travel this distance if the air temperature is 20°C.

Homework Equations

I am not sure, I tried looking in my text...but the only equation I could come up with is velocity = sqroot(ykT/m)
where y = specific heat, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the given temp in K, and m is the distance..

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even start, because only 2 things are known x in meters and the Temp 20 deg or 293 K. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the speed of sound in air. You can either look up the experimental real value or use the ideal gas approximation root(ykT/m) but here m is the molar mass of air not the distance!
You then use speed and distance to get the time.

what equation can you solve for time by having speed and distance?

sheri1987 said:
what equation can you solve for time by having speed and distance?

Did you really mean to write that!
What is the definition of speed?

What is the formula for calculating sound travel time at 20°C?

The formula for calculating sound travel time at 20°C is distance/velocity, where distance is the distance the sound travels and velocity is the speed of sound in air at 20°C, which is approximately 343 meters per second.

Why is temperature important in calculating sound travel time?

Temperature affects the speed of sound in air, with higher temperatures resulting in faster sound travel times. This is because at higher temperatures, air molecules have more kinetic energy and can vibrate faster, allowing sound waves to travel faster.

Can the speed of sound in air change at 20°C?

No, the speed of sound in air at 20°C is a constant value of approximately 343 meters per second. However, the speed of sound can vary at different temperatures and altitudes.

How do you measure the distance for calculating sound travel time?

The distance for calculating sound travel time can be measured using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or tape measure. It is important to measure the distance in a straight line between the source of the sound and the receiver.

What are the units for sound travel time at 20°C?

The units for sound travel time at 20°C are seconds (s), as it is a measure of time. However, in some cases, milliseconds (ms) may also be used for more precise measurements.