1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound travels through clay?

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Does sound travel through clay?

2. Relevant equations
    V=√(Young module/Density)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've read this from a book and it says the clay is a non-elastic material, so sound doesn't travel through. Is that correct???

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Knightycloud! :smile:
    No.

Sound travels through anything.

If you tap one side of a lump of clay, a pulse will travel through it that you can feel on the other side.

I think they mean that clay doesn't resonate.

eg, from http://www.bse.ph/download/EASE%20MODULES/SCIENCE/PHYSICS/Module%2016%20Sound.pdf [Broken] …

However, when the frequency of forced vibration on an object matches the object's natural frequency, a large increase in amplitude occurs. This is called resonance …
    Inelastic materials like clay do not resonate since they are incapable of vibrations. In order for something to resonate, it needs a force to pull it back to its starting position …​

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. May 30, 2013 #3
    Understood. Thank you! :D

5. May 30, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I guess it depends what you mean by sound. Yes, an impulse will travel through clay, but as the passage you quote indicates a rarefaction does not. Consequently a sound wave cannot be said to travel through clay.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 30, 2013 #5
    So that means sound doesn't go through non-elastic materials?

And fyi, my question is related to 'Velocity of sound through materials' part of physics.

7. May 30, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm saying it depends what you mean by sound going through something.
    If you take a box full of clay and whack it on one side you will feel something on the other side. But you may find that vertical cracks have now opened up in the clay so that further whacks are barely transmitted (unless more powerful). If the clay is sufficiently deep that gravitational pressure closes up the gaps then it will behave more like an elastic material.

8. May 31, 2013 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no

earthquakes go through clay

if you play music on one side of a piece of clay, you can hear it (very badly!) on the other side :smile:

(but you wouldn't get those nice resonances and overtones … this is why violins aren't made of clay! :wink:)

9. May 31, 2013 #8
    Haha! ^_^
    So I see it depends with the type and the state of a material. Sound can't travel through a vacuum like thing where it can't pulse anymore. Am I right?

10. May 31, 2013 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

do you mean a vacuum? :rolleyes:

yes, a pulse can travel through anything, so long as it's continuous (solid, liquid, gas, mixture …)​

11. Jun 1, 2013 #10
    Thank you for the support! Both of you. I learnt many facts than just an answer! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted