1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Wave and Harmonics help

1. Nov 20, 2013 #1
    I did an experiment for school, and I put a speaker in a styrofoam box with a rectangle cut out of the front. I had styrofoam bricks that fit perfectly in the hole, each with a hole cut out. The hole shape differed, with things like a funnel, a diagonal line, a circle, a square, etc. I was trying to see if it effected the property of the wave, like wavelength, frequency, etc., but after getting my data I realized it actually effected the shape of the wave. Some are sinusoidal, but others have more of a triangle or even a square shape. I know this is caused by the harmonics, but I need to figure out a way to compare the harmonics from a certain block to the other blocks. How do I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2013 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

The only thing that varies with different shaped holes is the scale of the spatial dimensions. How would you measure the spatial dimensions of a wave and how does it compare to the spatial dimensions of the apparatus?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted