What is the frequency of a sound wave traveling through air in a tube?

In summary, the problem involves a sound wave traveling through air in a horizontal tube. Two air molecules at different positions have different displacements and the frequency of the wave needs to be determined. The concept of sound being a wave and how air molecules interact with it is important to understand in order to solve the problem.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

A sound wave of the form s = sm cos(kx - ωt + φ) travels at 347 m/s through air in a long horizontal tube. At one instant, air molecule A at x = 2.04 m is at its maximum positive displacement of 6.40 nm and air molecule B at x = 2.08 m is at a positive displacement of 2.10 nm. All the molecules between A and B are at intermediate displacements. What is the frequency of the wave?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

uhhh I'm pretty much confused from the get go...i'm not sure how air molecules interact with a wave? i might need to be spoon fed a little here, because i don't even know where to start! ANY HINTS GREATLY APPRECIATED :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sound is basically the vibration of air molecules: as molecules oscillate, they force their neighbors into the same type of motion. Sound being a wave, some air molecules vibrate more than others, like how the middle of a guitar string vibrates more than the string's ends. Need any more hints?

ahhh sorry yea, i have NO idea...didn't even know the middle of a guitar string vibrates more than the ends (and totally don't know why)...

What is the definition of sound wave frequency in a tube?

Sound wave frequency in a tube refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles of a sound wave that pass through a specific point in a tube in one second.

How is sound wave frequency in a tube measured?

Sound wave frequency in a tube is typically measured in Hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second. It can also be measured in kilohertz (kHz) for higher frequencies.

What factors can affect sound wave frequency in a tube?

The length and shape of the tube can affect the frequency of a sound wave. The longer the tube, the lower the frequency, and the shorter the tube, the higher the frequency. The shape of the tube can also impact the frequency, with wider tubes having lower frequencies and narrower tubes having higher frequencies.

How does sound wave frequency in a tube relate to pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave in a tube is directly related to the pitch of the sound. Higher frequencies correspond to higher pitches, and lower frequencies correspond to lower pitches.

Can sound wave frequency in a tube be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a sound wave in a tube can be changed by altering the length or shape of the tube. It can also be changed by manipulating the source of the sound, such as using a different instrument or adjusting the volume of a speaker.