1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound wave in tube

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sound wave of the form s = sm cos(kx - ωt + φ) travels at 347 m/s through air in a long horizontal tube. At one instant, air molecule A at x = 2.04 m is at its maximum positive displacement of 6.40 nm and air molecule B at x = 2.08 m is at a positive displacement of 2.10 nm. All the molecules between A and B are at intermediate displacements. What is the frequency of the wave?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    uhhh i'm pretty much confused from the get go...i'm not sure how air molecules interact with a wave???? i might need to be spoon fed a little here, cuz i don't even know where to start!! ANY HINTS GREATLY APPRECIATED :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Sound is basically the vibration of air molecules: as molecules oscillate, they force their neighbors into the same type of motion. Sound being a wave, some air molecules vibrate more than others, like how the middle of a guitar string vibrates more than the string's ends. Need any more hints?

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3
    ahhh sorry yea, i have NO idea....didn't even know the middle of a guitar string vibrates more than the ends (and totally don't know why)...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook