1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Wave Minimizing

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sound wave with 40cm wavelength enters a tube at the source end. What must be the smallest radius r such that a minimum is heard at the detector end (picture attached)?

2. Relevant equations

I am really lost in this problem, but I BELIEVE constructive/destructive wave interference:
    f = (2n+1)V/(2dX)

where n is an integer, V is the wave speed, dX is the difference in travel distances between the two waves, and f is the frequency at which destructive interference occurs at a given point.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have honestly been stumped by this question. I have a physics exam very soon and so I need to know how to solve these sorts of problems. I am not looking for anyone to help me find the answer; I was just wondering if someone could help me get started off?

Thus far, can conceptually see that if r is the same size as the bump, then the wave will flow through as if it were an open ended pipe, but beyond that I do not know what is going on. Could someone please throw me on the right track?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Sound can take two paths from source to detector: either straight through the tube, or around the "bump". If the length difference between the two paths is an odd multiple of a half-wavelength, the two waves would interfere destructively and cancel.

4. Dec 12, 2009 #3
    Correct, but I am failing in my attempt to model the path that the wave could take around the "bump". Would this be the arc-length of the semi-circle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook