Exploring Sound Wave Pressures in Atmosphere: A Graph Analysis

In summary: It has a chart that might help:In summary, the highest pressure for sound waves of various decibels is in the atmosphere.
physea
Sound waves transmit in atmosphere as dense and thin areas of air. Is there a graph showing the highest and lowest pressure of atmosphere for sound waves of various decibels?

Physics news on Phys.org
According to this page:

http://www.acoustic-glossary.co.uk/sound-pressure.htm

the 0-dB sound pressure level (SPL) in air is defined as 2 x 10-5 Pa. This is the root-mean-square difference between the instantaneous pressure and the ambient pressure (the pressure that you would have if there were no sound at all). For other SPLs, you can use the table or the formula given on that page.

I see 'street traffic' noise pressure is 2 Atm. What does that mean? That pressure the high pressure regions and what the low have in the atmosphere?

physea said:
I see 'street traffic' noise pressure is 2 Atm. What does that mean? That pressure the high pressure regions and what the low have in the atmosphere?
The pressures are given in Pa and not atmospheres.

nasu said:
The pressures are given in Pa and not atmospheres.

I already know that and I converted them to Atm.

Check your conversion factor. 0.2 Pa (which the table shows for "street noise") is much much less than 1 atm.

Likes davenn
physea said:
Atmospheric pressure is about 105Pa and traffic noise is about 0.2Pa, which is a tiny fraction of that. I can't think where you got your "2 Atmospheres" from.

Likes davenn
The pressures in the table are the amplitudes of the pressure variations around the average value (the pressure in the air without sound waves, po).
A value of 2 Pa in the table means that the pressure in the sound wave can be between p0-2Pa and p0+2Pa . Even for the noise so strong that it can damage the ear, the variation are very small compared with the atmospheric pressure.

I am looking for a graph of the energy we need to produce a sound of x dB with current technology. Any hint?

physea said:
I am looking for a graph of the energy we need to produce a sound of x dB with current technology. Any hint?
You would mean Power, not Energy. (Important distinction).
Did you ever try this wiki link?

1. What is the purpose of exploring sound wave pressures in the atmosphere?

The purpose of exploring sound wave pressures in the atmosphere is to better understand the behavior of sound waves and how they interact with the atmosphere. This information can be used to improve various technologies that rely on sound, such as communication systems and weather forecasting instruments.

2. What is the method used to analyze sound wave pressures in the atmosphere?

The method used to analyze sound wave pressures in the atmosphere is through graph analysis. This involves plotting the data collected from sound wave measurements on a graph and analyzing the patterns and trends that emerge.

3. What type of data is collected during the exploration of sound wave pressures in the atmosphere?

The data collected during the exploration of sound wave pressures in the atmosphere includes the amplitude, frequency, and wavelength of sound waves. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude may also be taken into account.

4. How does the atmosphere affect sound wave pressures?

The atmosphere can affect sound wave pressures in several ways. The density and composition of the atmosphere can impact the speed and propagation of sound waves. Additionally, changes in temperature and humidity can cause sound waves to refract and reflect, altering their pressure and intensity.

5. What are some potential applications of the findings from exploring sound wave pressures in the atmosphere?

The findings from exploring sound wave pressures in the atmosphere can have various applications. For example, it can aid in the development of more efficient communication systems, improve the accuracy of weather forecasting, and enhance our understanding of natural phenomena such as thunder and lightning. It can also have practical applications in fields such as aviation, construction, and music.