1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound wave problem

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A source of sound S and a detector D are placed at some distance from one another. A big cradboard is placed near the detector and perpendicular to line SD as shown in figure. It is gradually moved away and it is found that the intensity changes from a maximum to a minimum as the board is moved through a distance of 20 cm. Find the frequency of the sound emitted. Velocity of sound in air is 336 m/s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have posted a similar problem in the past.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=684072&highlight=sound+detector+wall

(The figure is present in the linked thread. I can't seem to attach it to the current thread :confused: )

I tried the current problem the following way:

Let the cardboard be initially at a distance ##x## from S and let D be at a distance ##y## from S. The path difference between the two waves reaching D is ##2(x-y)##. For a maximum, the path difference must be ##n\lambda## i.e ##2(x-y)=n\lambda\,\, (*)## where n is a non-negative integer. When the cardboard is moved by 20 cm, the path difference is ##2(x-y)-40##. For a minimum, this must be a equal to ##(m+1/2)\lambda## where m is a non-negative integer. Using (*), I get:
    $$n\lambda-40=\left(m+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda$$
    Solving for ##\lambda##
    $$\lambda=\frac{40}{n-m-1/2}$$
    If I assume ##n=1## and ##m=0##, I get the given answer i.e 420 Hz but if I assume some other values, I get different answers. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    The key thing is that the path difference between a consecutive maxima and minima is λ/2 .

Now when the detector is moved 20 cm away ,the path difference introduced is 40 cm .

i.e 40 = λ/2 or λ = 80cm .

f=c/λ = 420 Hz .

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. Jan 24, 2014 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See how you can attach an old picture

attachment.php?attachmentid=57630&d=1365435100.png

Or you can attach it again, by changing the name.

Tania is right, the keyword is "consecutive" n and m differ by one.

ehild

5. Jan 25, 2014 #4
    Thanks a lot Tanya and ehild! :smile:

I had a similar dilemma with the other problems I am currently going through but now they are all solved, thanks! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted