• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Sound Wave Problem

Homework Statement

A handclap on stage in an amphitheater sends out sound waves that scatter from terraces of width w = 0.967 m (see the figure). The sound returns to the stage as a periodic series of pulses, one from each terrace; the parade of pulses sounds like a played note. (a) Assuming that all the rays in the figure below are horizontal, find the frequency at which the pulses return (that is, the frequency of the perceived note). (b) If the width w of the terraces were smaller, would the frequency be higher or lower? (Note: Assume the speed of sound in air = 343 m/s.)

Homework Equations

S = Sm*cos(kx-vt) maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am clueless for this question, can someone suggest an approach? I don't know what the theory id behind this
Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor
Sound from a single source is bouncing off of a series of surfaces whose distances from the source are separated by a regular fixed increment.

What's moving? How fast does it move? What's the path length difference for sound returning from adjacent terraces? What then is the time difference between returning pulses from adjacent terraces? Knowing the time interval between return pulses, what's the frequency?

Surely you can quote relevant equations that pertain to velocity, distance, and time? How about period and frequency?

You should be able to make an attempt.

Likes i_hate_math
Sound from a single source is bouncing off of a series of surfaces whose distances from the source are separated by a regular fixed increment.

What's moving? How fast does it move? What's the path length difference for sound returning from adjacent terraces? What then is the time difference between returning pulses from adjacent terraces? Knowing the time interval between return pulses, what's the frequency?

Surely you can quote relevant equations that pertain to velocity, distance, and time? How about period and frequency?

You should be able to make an attempt.
The sound waves are moving at 343m/s, the time difference is T=w/343 = 0.967/343=0.002819...
Hence the frequency is f=1/T=354.705274 Hz
Does that look right?

gneill
Mentor
The sound waves are moving at 343m/s, the time difference is T=w/343 = 0.967/343=0.002819...
Hence the frequency is f=1/T=354.705274 Hz
Does that look right?
Almost. Take a close look at the extra distance traveled by the reflected waves from successive terraces. Remember, the waves are reflected so they travel the same path forward and back:
upload_2016-5-7_5-42-30.png

Likes i_hate_math
Almost. Take a close look at the extra distance traveled by the reflected waves from successive terraces. Remember, the waves are reflected so they travel the same path forward and back:
View attachment 100394
Oh right! Shame on me for not seeing that.
It should be T=2w/343 = 2*0.967/343=0.0056384..
and f=1/T=177.35 Hz

gneill
Mentor
That looks good.

Likes i_hate_math
That looks good.
Thank you very much for your help!