Threshold of Hearing for Sound Waves in Outdoor Concerts

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a rock group is playing in a club and the sound from the open door spreads uniformly in all directions. The question is to find the distance at which the music is barely audible to a person with a normal threshold of hearing, given the decibel level at a distance of 1m from the door. The solution involves using the equation dB = 10 log(I/Io) and the concept of intensity and threshold of hearing to calculate the distance, taking into account the neglect of absorption of energy by the air. The resulting distance may seem large compared to real life observations due to this neglect.
JinM

Homework Statement

A rock group is playing in a club. Sound emerging
outdoors from an open door spreads uniformly in
all directions. If the decibel level is 70 dB at a dis-
tance of1.0 m from the door,at what distance is the
music just barely audible to a person with a normal
threshold ofhearing? Disregard absorption.

Given:
dB1 = 70 dB
r1 = 1.0 m

Unknowns:
I1 = ?
r2 = ?
Io = 10^-12 W/m^2

dB1 is the decibel level at a distance of 1m from the door. r1 is distance from the door. I1 is intensity at a distance 1m (r1) from the door. Io is threshold of hearing, at a distance of r2 (unknown) from the door.

Homework Equations

dB = 10 log(I/Io)
I = P/A = P/4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

db = 10 log(I/Io)
70 = 10 log(I/Io)
7log10 = log(I/Io)
10^7 = I/Io
10^-12 * 10^7 = I

I1 = 10^-5 W/m^2 -> Intensity 1

I1 = P/A
10^-5 = P/(4π)
P = 1.3 x 10^-4 W

Now I used the same equation to find r of threshold of hearing:

Io = P/A
10^-12 = (1.3 x 10^-4)/(4πr^2)

r = sqrt([1.3x10^-4]/[10^-12x4π]) = 3216 m

This is what I got for r, but it just doesn't seem reasonable. Is this the correct answer? Have I done something wrong?

Thank you, and please do tell if my work is incomprehensible.

Physics news on Phys.org
JinM said:

Homework Statement

A rock group is playing in a club. Sound emerging
outdoors from an open door spreads uniformly in
all directions. If the decibel level is 70 dB at a dis-
tance of1.0 m from the door,at what distance is the
music just barely audible to a person with a normal
threshold ofhearing? Disregard absorption.

Given:
dB1 = 70 dB
r1 = 1.0 m

Unknowns:
I1 = ?
r2 = ?
Io = 10^-12 W/m^2

dB1 is the decibel level at a distance of 1m from the door. r1 is distance from the door. I1 is intensity at a distance 1m (r1) from the door. Io is threshold of hearing, at a distance of r2 (unknown) from the door.

Homework Equations

dB = 10 log(I/Io)
I = P/A = P/4πr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

db = 10 log(I/Io)
70 = 10 log(I/Io)
7log10 = log(I/Io)
10^7 = I/Io
10^-12 * 10^7 = I

I1 = 10^-5 W/m^2 -> Intensity 1

I1 = P/A
10^-5 = P/(4π)
P = 1.3 x 10^-4 W

Now I used the same equation to find r of threshold of hearing:

Io = P/A
10^-12 = (1.3 x 10^-4)/(4πr^2)

r = sqrt([1.3x10^-4]/[10^-12x4π]) = 3216 m

This is what I got for r, but it just doesn't seem reasonable. Is this the correct answer? Have I done something wrong?

Thank you, and please do tell if my work is incomprehensible.

I did not check every numerical value but your reasoning is completely correct. Sounds good.

It's not surprising that calculations like this give distances that seem to be way too large compared to what we expect in real life. The reason is that th ecalculation neglect all absorption of energy by the air which is always present in real life (the air gets heated up a little, etc). It's one of those calculation where neglecting air friction is a very bad approximation (like when we calculate trajectories of projectiles and we neglect air friction..we get results that are completely different from real life observations).

Oh, I see. Thanks nrged. :-)

What is the "Sound wave rock band problem"?

The "Sound wave rock band problem" is a hypothetical scenario used to explain the concept of interference in sound waves. It involves two rock bands playing at the same time and location, resulting in a distorted and unpleasant sound for the audience.

What causes the "Sound wave rock band problem"?

The "Sound wave rock band problem" is caused by the interference of sound waves. When two or more sound waves of different frequencies overlap, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in a distorted sound.

How can the "Sound wave rock band problem" be solved?

The "Sound wave rock band problem" can be solved by adjusting the frequencies of the sound waves or changing the location of the bands. This can help reduce or eliminate interference, resulting in a clearer and more pleasant sound for the audience.

Why is understanding the "Sound wave rock band problem" important for scientists?

Understanding the "Sound wave rock band problem" is important for scientists because it helps them to understand the principles of sound wave interference and how it can affect our perception of sound. This knowledge is essential in fields such as acoustics, audio engineering, and music production.

Can the "Sound wave rock band problem" occur in real life?

Yes, the "Sound wave rock band problem" can occur in real life. In fact, it is a common issue in music concerts or festivals where multiple bands are playing at the same time. It can also occur in everyday situations, such as when two people are talking at the same time in close proximity.