Calculating Frequency and Wavelength of Sound Waves in Water and Air

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency and wavelength of a vibrating tuning fork in fresh water at 25 C, and then when the sound waves move into air at 25 C. The frequency will be the same in both mediums, but the velocity in air must be corrected to 346.3 m/s at 25 C.
brokentruce
i really had troubles with solving this problem and it would be greatly appreciated if i can get a full solution, thank you

A vibrating 400.0 Hz tuning fork is placed in fresh water. What is the frequency in hertz and the wavelength in metres.

a) within the water at 25 C
b) when the sound waves move into the air at 25 C?

Physics news on Phys.org
brokentruce said:
i really had troubles with solving this problem and it would be greatly appreciated if i can get a full solution, thank you

A vibrating 400.0 Hz tuning fork is placed in fresh water. What is the frequency in hertz and the wavelength in metres.

a) within the water at 25 C
b) when the sound waves move into the air at 25 C?

The frequency will be the same no matter the medium. For the wavelength, you must have seen [itex] \lambda = v/f [/itex] so you need to know the speed of sound in the medium you are considering. You must have the values somewhere in your book or notes.

I'm afraid we do not give full solutions here. However, if you would like to post your work, we will be more than happy to guide you to the correct answer.

~H

1493 m/s is the speed for sounds iin water at 25 C
332 m/s is the speed for sounds in air at 0 C

So like i kno how to get the wavelength the only this that's throwing me off is that the frequency might be different although theoretically freqeuncy can only be changed from its source

brokentruce said:
freqeuncy can only be changed from its source

You are correct. You will need to correct your velocity in air though.

~H

brokentruce said:
1493 m/s is the speed for sounds iin water at 25 C
332 m/s is the speed for sounds in air at 0 C

So like i kno how to get the wavelength the only this that's throwing me off is that the frequency might be different although theoretically freqeuncy can only be changed from its source
As Hoot said, you should always include some of your work with your question. I answered because it was a simple question but I should have asked to see what you had tried first (this is to avoid having people come here to get their homework done without trying first).

You are correct, the frequency is fixed by the source. That does not depend on the medium. For the wavelength, I gave the formula (which hopefully you recognize!)

so leave the frequencies to be the same but just solve for the wavelength ....if so...THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH this really helped

Sorry i am new to this, ill remember to abide by the rules the next time, wasnt aware of them

Don't forget to correct your velocity for air though!

~H

the speed is correct infact because that's what the table in my book has...maybe u think that speed is at 0 C but is is in fact in 25 C

The speed of sound is 346.3 m/s in air at 25oC.

~H

brokentruce said:
Sorry i am new to this, ill remember to abide by the rules the next time, wasnt aware of them
No problem..and welcome!

Hoot wanted to make sure that you would use the speed in air at 25 C because in your post you quoted the value at 0 C.

good luck!

What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that is created by vibrations and travels through a medium, such as air, water, or solids. These vibrations cause particles in the medium to move back and forth, creating a wave that can be heard by our ears.

How are sound waves measured?

Sound waves are measured using a unit called hertz (Hz). Hertz measures the frequency of the wave, which is the number of cycles or vibrations per second. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound. Human hearing can typically detect frequencies between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz.

What is the relationship between sound waves and hertz?

Hertz is the unit used to measure the frequency of sound waves. The frequency of a sound wave determines the pitch of the sound. A higher frequency (measured in hertz) means a higher pitch, while a lower frequency means a lower pitch.

Can sound waves travel through all mediums?

No, sound waves can only travel through mediums that have particles for them to vibrate through. For example, sound can travel through air, water, and solids, but it cannot travel through a vacuum (empty space).

How do sound waves interact with each other?

When two sound waves collide, they can interfere with each other in two ways: constructive interference and destructive interference. Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine and create a larger amplitude (louder sound), while destructive interference occurs when two waves cancel each other out and create a smaller amplitude (quieter sound).