Sound waves and sound pressure

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of sound pressure in a sound wave with given parameters. The displacement wave and its equation are provided, along with the equations for sound pressure. The attempt at a solution involves using the kinetic theory of an ideal gas to relate the displacement function to the pressure equations. A helpful link for the derivation is also provided.
Booney

Homework Statement

Consider a sound wave in air of density 1.2 kg/m3. The displacement wave has the form s(x,t)=smaxcos(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t) where k=8.79rad/m, [tex]\omega[/tex]=3021.6 rad/s and smax=2.51 x 10-7m.
Calculate the sound pressure [tex]\Delta[/tex]P(x,t) of this wave at x=0.282m and t=0.00137s. Answer in units of Pa.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]Pmax=[tex]\rho[/tex]v[tex]\omega[/tex]smax
[tex]\Delta[/tex]P=[tex]\Delta[/tex]Pmaxsin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling I'm not using the correct equations because the equations I've found include a velocity, which isn't given, and don't include the displacement function. How do I relate the displacement function to the pressure equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way I can think to solve this is by using the kinetic theory of an ideal gas to derive pressure based on average velocity. You can review this derivation at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/kinthe.html#c3". The important equation is:

[tex]\frac{1}{3} \frac{N}{V} m \bar{v}^2[/tex]

You can calculate velocity from your displacement equation.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that is created by vibrations in a medium, such as air or water. These vibrations travel through the medium, causing changes in pressure that our ears can detect as sound.

How are sound waves created?

Sound waves are created when an object vibrates, causing the particles in the surrounding medium to vibrate as well. This creates a series of compressions and rarefactions, which travel through the medium as a sound wave.

What is the difference between sound waves and sound pressure?

Sound waves are the physical phenomenon of vibrations traveling through a medium, while sound pressure is the measurement of the strength or intensity of those vibrations. Sound pressure is typically measured in decibels (dB).

How does sound pressure affect our hearing?

Our ears are sensitive to changes in sound pressure, and can detect a wide range of intensities. However, prolonged exposure to high sound pressure levels, such as from loud noises, can damage our hearing and lead to hearing loss.

Can sound waves and sound pressure be harmful?

While sound waves and sound pressure are necessary for us to hear and communicate, they can also be harmful if they are too intense or prolonged. Exposure to high sound pressure levels can cause physical and psychological effects, such as hearing loss, stress, and headaches.