Is Warren's (chroot) answer correct?

In summary, Warren's answer was TRUE for the statement: "When the crests of two waves overlap the result is DESTRUCTIVE interference."My textbook says: "When the crest of one wave overlaps the crest of another, their individual effects add together. The result is a wave of increased amplitutude. This is called CONSTRUCTIVE interference."With that said, my answer is FALSE. Thanks for the help!
daNAV1GATOR
[SOLVED] Sound waves and vibrations

I read a post here on PF dated back in Nov 2003.
'Security' needed some help with his Physics exam... and what a coincidence! I'm also working on that same exam now.

PF Admin 'chroot' helped him with the questions...
and I got confused with some of his answers. So I want to make sure now if I'm really wrong and he's right.

I tried to ask him about this... but he didn't want to because he said he's not a tutor.
I also sent a private msg to Security but he hasn't responded.

Warren's (chroot) answer was TRUE for the statement:
--A pendulum with a mass of 10g and a length of 20 cm swings back and forth MORE frequently than a pendulum with a mass of 20g and a length of 10cm.

MY ANSWER... is FALSE because my textbook (which was also Security's) clearly says that "A long pendulum has a longer period that a shorter pendulum; that is, it swings back and forth more slowly--less frequently--than a short pendulum."
This is because the period only depends on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration of gravity.

So I would like to get a second opinion please! =)

2nd problem:

Warren's answer was FALSE for the statement:
--The wavelength produced by a violin string with a frequency of 196 Hz is GREATER than the wavelength produced by a piano string with a frequency of 262 Hz.

My answer is TRUE.
Why? ... wave speed (e.g., 340 m/s) = wavelength * frequency
So a high frequency would have a short wavelength so the product will = 340 m/s.

Correct?

3rd problem:

Warren's answer was TRUE for the statement:
--When the crests of two waves overlap the result is DESTRUCTIVE interference

My textbook says: "When the crest of one wave overlaps the crest of another, their individual effects add together. The result is a wave of increased amplitutude. This is called CONSTRUCTIVE interference."

With that said, my answer is FALSE.

PLEASE HELP ME ON THIS ONE!
I NEED TO FINISH HIGH SCHOOL THIS YEAR AND I'M BEHIND!

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can see, you're right on all accounts.

Thanks!

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water, and carries energy from one location to another.

2. How do sound waves travel?

When an object vibrates, it creates sound waves that travel through the air. The sound waves cause the air particles to vibrate, which in turn, cause our eardrums to vibrate and we perceive it as sound.

3. What is the difference between sound waves and vibrations?

Vibrations are the rapid back and forth motion of an object, while sound waves are the result of those vibrations propagating through a medium. In other words, vibrations cause sound waves.

4. Can sound waves travel through a vacuum?

No, sound waves require a medium to travel through. In a vacuum, there is no medium for the sound waves to propagate through, so there can be no sound.

5. How do different frequencies and amplitudes affect sound waves?

The frequency of a sound wave determines its pitch, with higher frequencies corresponding to higher pitches. The amplitude of a sound wave determines its loudness, with greater amplitudes producing louder sounds.