Sound waves and whiskey

• Thread starter nmsurobert
  • Start date
I have some skepticism. All it says is "enhances molecular interaction", which sounds kind of vague to me. They also say it "shapes" the favor. None of which make sense. So either I don't understand how its possible (which is possible) or its some nonsense... which is also possible.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask the pros about this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ils-blackened-whiskey-sound-waves/1143540002/

Answers and Replies

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
I'm skeptical too. Perhaps off-topic, but here's a somewhat relevant "link":

Likes nmsurobert
my idea is the sound vibrations shake small soluble particles off the wood. and instead of only pulling from the cask itself it also pulls from these small particles? smaller particles dissolve more quickly, in turn influencing the flavor slightly? i don't know. i feel like I'm reaching, but maybe?

gluten-free water is bottled and sold so I'm leaning 98% percent gimmick and 2% science. I'm interested in the science though... if it exists.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
...I'm leaning 98% percent gimmick and 2% science.
I think you're being optimistic about the science.

Likes DennisN
DennisN
2020 Award
I have some skepticism. All it says is "enhances molecular interaction", which sounds kind of vague to me. They also say it "shapes" the favor. None of which make sense. So either I don't understand how its possible (which is possible) or its some nonsense... which is also possible.
From personal experience I can testify that some music sounds better after alcohol consumption. So in some peculiar way alcohol can influence sound, or at least the impression of sound. :smile: I am very skeptical that this holds the other way around.

Likes Charles Link