Metallica Unveils Blackened Whiskey Enhanced by Sound Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses a new whiskey called "Blackened" that claims to enhance molecular interaction and shape the flavor through sound waves. The participants express skepticism about the science behind it and suggest that it may just be a marketing gimmick. They also bring up the idea that sound can influence alcohol consumption, but are doubtful that it works the other way around.
nmsurobert
I have some skepticism. All it says is "enhances molecular interaction", which sounds kind of vague to me. They also say it "shapes" the favor. None of which make sense. So either I don't understand how its possible (which is possible) or its some nonsense... which is also possible.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask the pros about this.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ils-blackened-whiskey-sound-waves/1143540002/

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm skeptical too. Perhaps off-topic, but here's a somewhat relevant "link":

Likes nmsurobert
my idea is the sound vibrations shake small soluble particles off the wood. and instead of only pulling from the cask itself it also pulls from these small particles? smaller particles dissolve more quickly, in turn influencing the flavor slightly? i don't know. i feel like I'm reaching, but maybe?

gluten-free water is bottled and sold so I'm leaning 98% percent gimmick and 2% science. I'm interested in the science though... if it exists.

nmsurobert said:
...I'm leaning 98% percent gimmick and 2% science.
I think you're being optimistic about the science.

Likes DennisN
nmsurobert said:
I have some skepticism. All it says is "enhances molecular interaction", which sounds kind of vague to me. They also say it "shapes" the favor. None of which make sense. So either I don't understand how its possible (which is possible) or its some nonsense... which is also possible.
From personal experience I can testify that some music sounds better after alcohol consumption. So in some peculiar way alcohol can influence sound, or at least the impression of sound. :smile: I am very skeptical that this holds the other way around.

Likes Charles Link

What is "Metallica Unveils Blackened Whiskey Enhanced by Sound Waves"?

"Metallica Unveils Blackened Whiskey Enhanced by Sound Waves" is a collaboration between the popular heavy metal band, Metallica, and the distillery, Sweet Amber Distilling Co. The whiskey is said to be enhanced by sound waves from Metallica's music during the aging process.

How is sound used to enhance the whiskey?

The whiskey barrels are exposed to low frequency sound waves, which is said to cause a reaction that intensifies the molecular interaction and ultimately enhances the flavor of the whiskey.

Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim of enhanced flavor?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence to support the claim of enhanced flavor due to sound waves. The concept is based on the theory of molecular agitation, but there have been no studies specifically on the effects of sound waves on whiskey flavor.

What is the overall reception of this collaboration and the enhanced whiskey?

The collaboration has received mixed reviews, with some fans excited to try the enhanced whiskey and others skeptical of the claims. The whiskey itself has received mostly positive reviews for its unique flavor profile.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using sound waves to enhance whiskey?

There are a few potential drawbacks to using sound waves to enhance whiskey, including the lack of scientific evidence, the added cost of the process, and the potential for inconsistent results. Additionally, some critics argue that the use of sound waves goes against traditional whiskey-making methods.