Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound waves as energysource

1. Mar 6, 2004 #1
    What about using soundwaves from mines and waterfalls as an energysource?

you could put a membrane in the exit of the mine, or over a waterfall. Then we would get energy without killing the fish!

How about periodically fill a volcano with saltwater and use the steam as an energysource like with a geiser and as a sweat water resource at the same time!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

One problem: sound energy densities are extrordinarily low. Tiny fractions of a watt per square meter.
  4. Mar 6, 2004 #3
    Even around waterfalls?
  5. Mar 6, 2004 #4

Yes, even around waterfalls...even around airports. sound waves carry pretty much no energy worth attempting to harness. If they did, even moderately loud noises would destroy our eardrums.
  6. Mar 6, 2004 #5
    Pendulumns at the poles following the magnetic pole?
  7. Mar 6, 2004 #6
    Instead of just blindly throwing out ideas, how about suggesting (a) how you would use them as an energy source, and (b) what you would use the energy for.
  8. Mar 6, 2004 #7
    Sariaht, in any event you certainly possess creativity, and somewhat responsibily structured at that(as oppossed to seriously off-the-wall theorist we hear from time-to-time) I love it!
    In neither of your posts here have you claimed anything like "free-energy" rather you are searching for natural, unused sources of energy to be utilized. Excellent.
    With that endeavor, also focus on whether or not the cost of establishing a particular energy extraction system and the actual energy produced is financially attractive. This doesn't mean that the system has to immediately start paying for itself. No! What system does?!
    But it does have to be reasonable with regards to time. That is, if a certain system pays for itself in, say, 3-7 years, than I would say that it is a viable technology.
    It also has to be reasonable with regards to power produced.
    If a system pays for itself in 5-years yet only produces, say, 10-watts of electricity, is it REALLY worth the effort?
    Keep these things in mind, and certainly keep your creativity.
  9. Mar 6, 2004 #8
    Thank you very much!

What about putting a black spunge (made from oil) above the sea surface near the equator and let it absorb the vapour, so that you can through sand on top and grow vegetables and stuff on it? The spunge could float on an iron fence held up by a giant plastic ring. And stay put with an iron chane connected to the seabottom and to a generator that uses the wave-energy to warm the water underneath the ring.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  10. Mar 6, 2004 #9
    You're like my 4 year old nephew. Has an active imagination...but no real sense of scientific concepts.
  11. Mar 7, 2004 #10
    That's funny

A boy sneaking around looking at other peoples theories "just for fun" is what you are neutroncount.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  12. Mar 7, 2004 #11
    How about giving a plate inside the drills in the mines a charge so that the magnetic field change the frequencies inside the mountain to frequencies helping in the drilling?
  13. Mar 7, 2004 #12
    Some materials get's harder in magnetic or electrostatic fields!

This could be used in skyscrapers etc, as a protection against fow.

Or in spaceships.
  14. Mar 7, 2004 #13

Staff: Mentor

Re: That's funny

Another way to interpret neutroncount's message is that if you would learn some physics it would greatly focus your creativity and make it much more likely for you to actually do something useful. Creativity is a wonderful thing, but on its own its just taking shots in the dark.
  15. Mar 8, 2004 #14
    Thank you Russ.

It's not like I'm stalking you Sariaht. But when I read your threads or comments, sometimes I'm perplexed by their seemingly random direction and interesting logic processes.
  16. Mar 8, 2004 #15
    Thank you neutroncount.

And Russ, I'll try.

By the way. How about giving bluegreen bacterias a communication gene?
    We could try and make a such. Maybe they would develop consciousness?
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?