Sound waves & destructive interference

In summary, the largest possible distance between speaker B and the observer at C is 2.74 m for destructive interference to occur.
Rachel C
There is a diagram in my book for this problem... I'll try my best to describe it! There are two speakers (A & B) that form a right triangle (at B) with the listener (C). Suppose that the separation between speakers A and B is 5.00 m and the speakers are vibrating in phase. They are playing identical 125-Hz tones, and the speed of sound is 343 m/s. What is the LARGEST possible distance between speaker B and the observer at C, such that he observes destructive interference.

I know how to solve for the smallest possible distance... but I have no idea how to solve for the largest! I thought that the distance could keep increasing...to infinity.

I solved for the wavelength using velocity and frequency, which is 343/125 = 2.74 m. I know that a difference in path lengths that is a 1/2 integer number of wavelengths is destructive interference.

I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The largest possible distance between speaker B and the observer at C can be calculated by finding the maximum path difference that results in destructive interference. The maximum path difference is equal to one wavelength, which is 2.74 m. Therefore, the LARGEST possible distance between speaker B and the observer at C, such that he observes destructive interference, is 2.74 m.

First of all, great job on solving for the wavelength and understanding the concept of destructive interference! To solve for the largest possible distance between speaker B and the observer at C, we need to consider the path length difference between the two speakers. As you mentioned, for destructive interference to occur, the path length difference must be a multiple of half a wavelength.

In this case, the path length difference between speakers A and B is 5.00 m. To find the largest possible distance, we need to find the maximum number of half wavelengths that can fit into this distance. Since the wavelength is 2.74 m, we can fit a maximum of 1.83 half wavelengths (5.00/2.74 = 1.83).

Therefore, the largest possible distance between speaker B and the observer at C would be 1.83 wavelengths, which is equal to 5.00 m. Any distance larger than this would not result in destructive interference because it would not be a multiple of half a wavelength.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work!

1. How are sound waves produced?

Sound waves are produced when an object vibrates and causes molecules in the surrounding medium (such as air, water, or solid materials) to also vibrate. These vibrations travel through the medium as a wave, carrying energy from the source of the sound to our ears.

2. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap, resulting in a larger combined wave. Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and opposite amplitude overlap, resulting in a smaller combined wave. In sound waves, this can result in either a louder or softer sound, respectively.

3. How does destructive interference affect sound waves?

Destructive interference can result in a phenomenon known as "cancellation", where two sound waves with opposite amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in little to no sound at a specific location. This can occur when two sound waves of the same frequency and opposite amplitudes meet and overlap.

4. What are some real-world applications of destructive interference?

Destructive interference is used in noise-cancelling headphones, where the headphones produce a sound wave with the opposite amplitude of the external noise, resulting in the cancellation of the noise. It is also used in acoustical engineering to minimize unwanted noise in buildings and to improve sound quality in concert halls and recording studios.

5. Can sound waves experience both constructive and destructive interference?

Yes, sound waves can experience both constructive and destructive interference. This occurs when multiple sound waves with different frequencies and amplitudes overlap, resulting in complex interference patterns. This is often observed in music, where multiple instruments playing different notes can create a unique overall sound through constructive and destructive interference.