1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves exam

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1
    My physics professor attempted to teach two chapters of new material within two class periods, but unfortunately this is not enough time to cover the material as in depth as we will be tested on. Exam is this mon and I am very confused about the things he did not explain - I feel like he left some stuff out. The chapters are sound waves and calorimetry. I am going to list the homework problems I don't understand how to do and how far I got.

I'm guessing I should use Q=MC(Tf-Ti), but Q is the change in thermal energy, how does that relate?

here I know I've got to add the amplitudes. But here is where I am confused - when it says arrives simultaneously, does it imply in phase? Waves with different frequencies can't travel in phase but can overlap temporarily (forming beat frequency)

In part a the unknown is Vemit. I should use the following equation: Fdet=Femit[(Vwave +- Vdet)/(Vwave -+ Vemit)]....right? How can I view this problem from the perspective of a detector?

Any and all pointers are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The speed of sound depends on the ratio of specific heats. I'm sure the relation is shown in your textbook.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?