Sound Waves from a loudspeaker

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a loudspeaker placed between two observers 110m apart. One observer records a sound level of 60.0 dB and the other records a sound level of 80.0 dB. The question is asked of how far the speaker is from each observer, and a potential solution involving the decibel scale and sound intensity is suggested. The speaker's power (P) and distance (x) are used to create two equations that can be solved to find the distance. Help with understanding sound waves is also requested.
Lipd
I've been stuck on this one problem for a bit, any help is really appreciated.

"A loudspeaker is placed between two observers who are 110m apart, along the line connecting them. If one observer records a sound level of 60.0 dB and the other records a sound level of 80.0dB, how far is the speaker from each observer?"

I've been having a tough time grasping sound waves in general actually. These problems usually take me a lot longer than the previous chapter on wave motion. So I was also wondering if anyone knew some good help sites with sound waves, I seem to only find ones with formula's on them.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that the decibel scale was created for just such a problem. That is,

80~P/x3.2 and 60~P/(110-x)3.2

where P is the power at the speaker, x is the distance for the 80dB observer, (110-x) for the 60dB observer, and the approximation that the sound intensity drops off as the 3.2 power of distance is assumed. (Remember, 23.2=10) Solve the two equations by eliminating P.

thanks alot!

I hope I'm right, Lipd.

What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium, such as air or water. They are created by vibrations in an object and travel outward in all directions.

How do loudspeakers produce sound waves?

Loudspeakers use a diaphragm, or cone, that vibrates back and forth in response to an electrical signal. This vibration creates sound waves that travel through the air and reach our ears.

What is the frequency of sound waves from a loudspeaker?

The frequency of sound waves from a loudspeaker is determined by the frequency of the electrical signal that is sent to it. Most loudspeakers can produce frequencies between 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, which is the range of human hearing.

Do different loudspeakers produce different types of sound waves?

Yes, different loudspeakers can produce different types of sound waves depending on their design and construction. For example, some loudspeakers may be designed to produce more bass frequencies, while others may be designed for higher frequencies.

Can sound waves from a loudspeaker travel through different mediums?

Yes, sound waves from a loudspeaker can travel through different mediums, such as air, water, or solid objects. However, the speed and intensity of the sound waves may vary depending on the medium they are traveling through.