How Do Doppler Effect and Spring Motion Influence Perceived Sound Frequencies?

In summary, a block with a speaker connected to a spring with spring constant k= 20.0 N/m has a total mass of 5.00 kg and an amplitude of 0.500 m. (a) With a frequency of 440 Hz, the highest and lowest frequencies heard by a person to the right of the speaker can be determined using the formula KE + PE = constant and PE = 1/2 kx2. (b) If the maximum sound level heard is 60.0 dB when the person is 1.00 m away, the minimum sound level can be found using the standard formula for frequency at different speeds, assuming a speed of sound of 343 m/s. These formulas may not
Hitman6267
A block with a speaker bolted to it is connected to a spring having spring constant k= 20.0 N/m as in Figure P17.40. The total mass of the block and speaker is 5.00 kg, and the amplitude of this unit's motion is 0.500 m. (a) If the speaker emits sound waves of frequency 440 Hz, determine the highest and lowest frequencies heard by the person to the right of the speaker. (b) If the maximum sound level heard by the person is 60.0 dB when he is closest to the speaker, 1.00 m away, what is the minimum sound level heard by the observer? Assume that the speed of sound is 343 m/s.
2.gif

The solution
1.png

Can some one tell me what are the formulas they used in part a ? I can't find them in my book (Halliday, fundamentals of physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hitman6267 said:
Can some one tell me what are the formulas they used in part a ? I can't find them in my book (Halliday, fundamentals of physics)

Hi Hitman6267! :smile:

The first is KE + PE = constant (and PE = 1/2 kx2).

The second is the standard formula for frequency at different speeds.

1. How do sound waves travel from a speaker?

Sound waves are created when an electrical current passes through the speaker's coil, causing it to vibrate. These vibrations then push and pull on the surrounding air molecules, creating a compressional wave that travels outward from the speaker in all directions.

2. What is the speed of sound waves from a speaker?

The speed of sound waves from a speaker depends on the medium through which they are traveling. In air at room temperature, sound waves travel at approximately 343 meters per second. However, this speed can vary depending on factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure.

3. How does the shape and size of a speaker affect sound waves?

The shape and size of a speaker can have a significant impact on the sound waves it produces. A larger speaker typically produces lower frequency sounds, while a smaller speaker produces higher frequency sounds. Additionally, the shape of the speaker can affect how the sound waves are dispersed, resulting in different levels of loudness and clarity.

4. Can sound waves from a speaker be harmful?

Sound waves from a speaker can be harmful if they are too loud or if they are played for extended periods of time. Exposure to loud sounds can cause temporary or permanent hearing loss, as well as other negative effects on the body such as headaches and fatigue. It is important to use caution and regulate the volume of sound waves from a speaker to prevent potential harm.

5. How do sound waves from a speaker produce different pitches or frequencies?

The pitch or frequency of sound waves from a speaker is determined by the number of vibrations or cycles per second. The faster the speaker vibrates, the higher the frequency and pitch of the sound waves produced. This is why different sizes and types of speakers are used for different instruments or sounds in music production.