1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves: Intensity

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The intensity at a distance of 6.0m from a source that is radiating equally in all directions is 6.0x10^-10 W/m^2. What is the power emitted by the source?

They give you multiple choice answers, and the answer is 2.7x10-7 W.

2. Relevant equations

I is proportional to 1/r^2.

B = 10log(I/10^-12)

3. The attempt at a solution

I dont really know how to approach getting the solution, I have tried working backwards from the solution and kind of got nowhere. I see no reason to use the decibel formula because there is no need to indicate loudness, so the only other formula I have to work with is a proportion. Could somebody please help me with the formulas/logic needed to solve this problem? I have a terrible professor and my book is no help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2
    Bump. I still need help with this, I put in a bunch of time and im still lost. I would really appreciate a formula or concept explanation or anything, I have the answer but I just want to know how to do it.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    I dont know but since u havent got a reply im just guessing..

there is some formula i cant remember it is something like...

I =p/4pieR^2

P= I(4)(pie)(r)^2 that gives u like 2.7 x 10 ^-6 W

so it might be wrong and i guess it is since u gave teh answer already but find the power formula and it should be as simple as plugging in..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?