1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves length measurement

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two sources, A and B, emit a sound of a certain wavelength. The sound emitted from both sources is detected at a point away from the sources. The sound from souce A is a distance d from the observation point, whereas the sound from source B has to travel a distance of 3.7λ. Take v to be 340 m/s.

a) What is the largest value of the wavelength, in terms of d, for the maximum sound intensity to be detected at the observation point?

b) If d = 14.1 m and the speed of sound is 340 m/s, what is the frequency of the emitted sound?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2
    How you have attempted at the solution?

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3
    I have attempted at the solution by using the equation |d1-d2|= n*(Wavelength) n=0,1,2... ,which is the equation constructive interference of waves.
    However, i am not sure that i'll gonna use this formula for the maximum sound intensity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted