1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves Question

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    A stationary motion detector sends sound waves of 0.700 MHz toward a truck approaching at a speed of 38.0 m/s. The speed of sound in the air is 343 m/s. What is the frequency of the waves reflected back to the detector?

I tried doing F=f((v+vo)/(v)), which becomes F=.7MHz((343+38)/(343)), and this gives the wrong answer. Then I realized that something should be doubled becomes the waves are reflected twice, from the detector to truck and then from the truck to the detector, so I just double the answer I got previously and this is wrong. What am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the objects are approaching, you have to use: [tex]f_{apparent} = f_{source} \frac{v_{sound}}{v_{sound} - v_{source}}[/tex]

You then have to apply it again using the [itex]f_{apparent}[/itex] as the source frequency. The difference is not exactly doubled in doing this.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?