Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sound Waves Question

1. Dec 7, 2004 #1
    A stationary motion detector sends sound waves of 0.700 MHz toward a truck approaching at a speed of 38.0 m/s. The speed of sound in the air is 343 m/s. What is the frequency of the waves reflected back to the detector?

I tried doing F=f((v+vo)/(v)), which becomes F=.7MHz((343+38)/(343)), and this gives the wrong answer. Then I realized that something should be doubled becomes the waves are reflected twice, from the detector to truck and then from the truck to the detector, so I just double the answer I got previously and this is wrong. What am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2004 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the objects are approaching, you have to use: [tex]f_{apparent} = f_{source} \frac{v_{sound}}{v_{sound} - v_{source}}[/tex]

You then have to apply it again using the [itex]f_{apparent}[/itex] as the source frequency. The difference is not exactly doubled in doing this.

AM

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook