Calculate Distance between A & B: Sound Intensity Problem

In summary, the question asks to calculate the distance from a point source to a listener where the sound intensity is measured to be 50.0dB at the listener's location and 45.3dB at a point 10.0m away. Using the equation for sound intensity, the distance can be calculated to be approximately 7.16m. The person asking for help has already attempted to solve the problem using concepts from a physics book, but is looking for guidance on how to approach this type of problem. A helpful resource is provided for further background reading.
ubiquinone
Hi I have a question here from a chapter on sound. I'm not sure on how to solve this, so I was wondering if someone here could please give me a hand. Thank You!

Question: A point source at [tex]A[/tex] emits sound uniformly in all directions. At point [tex]B[/tex], the listener measures the sound intensity to be [tex]50.0dB[/tex]. At point [tex]C[/tex], the sound intensity level is [tex]45.3dB[/tex]. The distance [tex]\overline{BC}[/tex] is [tex]10.0m[/tex]. Calculate the distance [tex]\overline{AB}[/tex].

Diagram:
Code:
A----------B
 \         |
   \       |
     \     |
       \   |
         \ |
           C

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you any thoughts yourself?

This question is from an old physics exercise book which does not have any examples. I have tried solving it by reading up the concepts on waves and sound from a conceptual physics book. I'm hoping if someone here can show me how to solve this problem, so I can see and understand how a physicist or a good problem solver applies physics concepts and theory into problem solving. Again, any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Hootenanny, thank you for the reference! I think I got it now.

Let [tex]x[/tex] be the distance of [tex]\overline{AB}[/tex]
Calculate the intensities:
[tex]\displaystyle 50.0dB=10\log\left (\frac{I_1}{10^{-12}}\right )[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\Leftrightarrow 10^5=\frac{I_1}{10^-12}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\Leftrightarrow 10^{-7}=I_1[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle 45.3dB=10\log\left (\frac{I_2}{10^{-12}}\right )[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\Leftrightarrow 10^{4.53}=\frac{I_2}{10^-12}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\Leftrightarrow 10^{-7.47}=I_2[/tex]
Since [tex]\displaystyle\frac{I_1}{I_2}=\frac{r_2^2}{r_1^2}\Rightarrow \frac{10^{-7}}{10^{-7.47}}=\frac{\sqrt{x^2+10^2}^2}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\Leftrightarrow 10^{0.47}x^2=x^2+100[/tex]
[tex]\displaysytle\Leftrightarrow x^2(-1+10^{0.47})=100[/tex]
[tex]\displaystyle\Rightarrow x=\sqrt{\frac{100}{10^{0.47}-1}}\approx 7.16m[/tex]

1. How do you calculate the distance between two points using sound intensity?

To calculate the distance between two points using sound intensity, you will need to know the sound intensity level at each point and the speed of sound in the medium. You can use the formula D = √(I₁/I₂) * c, where D is the distance, I₁ is the sound intensity at the first point, I₂ is the sound intensity at the second point, and c is the speed of sound in the medium.

2. What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy that passes through a unit area in a specific direction per unit time. It is measured in decibels (dB) and can be determined using a sound level meter. This device measures the sound pressure level in the surrounding area and converts it to a decibel value.

3. How does the speed of sound affect the distance between two points?

The speed of sound is a crucial factor in calculating the distance between two points using sound intensity. The faster the speed of sound, the shorter the distance between the two points will be. This is because the sound waves will travel faster and cover a shorter distance in the same amount of time.

4. Can sound intensity be affected by external factors?

Yes, sound intensity can be affected by various external factors such as the distance between the sound source and the measurement point, the acoustic properties of the medium, and any obstacles or barriers in the path of the sound waves. These factors can cause the sound intensity to decrease or increase.

5. How accurate is the distance calculation using sound intensity?

The accuracy of the distance calculation using sound intensity depends on several factors, such as the precision of the sound level meter used, the accuracy of the sound intensity measurements, and the consistency of the speed of sound in the medium. With proper equipment and accurate measurements, the distance calculation using sound intensity can be very accurate.