1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound Waves

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    (a) First, consider a string of length 1m attached at both ends. It sounding a fundamental tone of 440 Hz. What is the wavelength of the above waves on the string? What is the speed of the waves on the string?

(b) Now consider a Boomwhacker™ tube open at both ends, sounding a tone of 440 Hz. Given that the speed of sound in air is 330 m/s, how long is the Boomwhacker™ tube?

(c) What tone would be produced by the Boomwhacker™ tube if one end was capped.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

What you tried so far? You need to show some of your thoughts on solving the problem. What equations might be useful?

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3
    These questions are not FOR a class, they just are questions that came up when I was doing an experiment in Lab Class. I'm not sure what route to take in order to solve it. It would be easier, as would many problems, if I were taking an actual physics class that supplied me with the formulas necassary for solving this problem.:rolleyes:

5. Apr 23, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Questions that "came up" from where? They are still part of coursework though, right?
    Read http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/string.html. Maybe that will help.

Try finding a book in the library to use as a reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?