1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sound waves

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The Young's modulus for tin is 4.5x10^10. If the speed of sound in tin is measured to be 2.73km/s , find its density in (kg/m^3) .

a)6.05x10^3
    b)23.8x10^3
    c)6.35x10^3
    d)24.5x10^3
    e)6.65x10^3

, E(tin)=4.5x10^10 ,speed of sound in tin=2.73km/s

2. v=sqrt(B/density) -where B is bulk modulus

3. if i substitute B as young's modulus I get answer a) in the choices.

What is difference between bulk modulus and young's modulus and if there is what relation relates them.Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Bulk modulus = 3*young's modulus.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    But when i substitute v=sqrt(3Y/density)=sqrt(B/density) i dont get an answer from choices while i do if i substitute v=y/density.is it possible that in sound waves the velocity is proportional to youngs modulus instead of bulk modulus as in other cases.

From serway :"For longitudinal sound waves in a solid rod of material, for example, the speed of
    sound depends on Young’s modulus Y and the density !. Table 17.1 provides the speed
    of sound in several different materials"

please advise.:)

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4
    any idea anybody?:confused:

6. Mar 1, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

While calculating the velocity of sound in solid, if the solid is a thin rod, the bulk modulus is replaced by Young's modulus.

7. Mar 1, 2010 #6
    thanks very much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook