1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound waves

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(1) A sound wave is traveling through air medium, if the medium is replaced by water, how that will affect the wavelength, frequency and speed of the wave ?

(2) If the temperature of the air changed, how that will affect the wavelength, frequency and speed of the wave ?

2. Relevant equations

Velocity = Frequency × Wavelength

Velocity of sound wave in air = 331.5 m/s + 0.6 T

3. The attempt at a solution

(1) If the medium is replaced by water, which has greater density, the velocity increases. From the equation: Velocity = Frequency × Wavelength

Frequency or wavelength or maybe both frequency and wavelength must be increased, Could you tell me which one ?

(2) If temperature changed, velocity will be changed, so that frequency or wavelength must be changed. Could you tell me which one of them will change ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    well, you know that the speed of sound in a specific medium should be (roughly speaking) a constant ..

you tell me, does it matter to know whether the frequecy is the one which changed or the wavelength?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook