Questions About Sound and Its Physics

In summary, sound is a form of vibrational energy that cannot travel in a vacuum because there is no material for it to vibrate. It is created by moving air molecules, as demonstrated in traditional telephone receivers and vocal cords. Light, on the other hand, can travel in a vacuum because it is electromagnetic radiation.
Null_
After much thought on the matter, I am very confused about sound. I know that it is just a wave...what is the wave made of? Vibrations of what? And if the wave is made of nothing, then how does it travel through a vacuum?

And, if there are no "sound particles" as I have been told, then why does sound travel slower than light? Light has an associated mass, so I don't see why this doesn't slow it down to slower than the speed of sound.

I don't have much physics knowledge as you can probably tell, so please keep the responses so. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
check wikipedia...it can answer your questions..

Sound is vibrational energy of a material...hence sound, unlike electromagnetic radiation (light) cannot ravel in a vacuum...as there is no material to vibrate...

For example in traditional telephone receivers carbon granules move in response to varying electrical signal strength...this moves a diaphram..which vibrates air molecules..and, voila, you can HEAR another person...vocal cords also vibrate air molecules so you can get hollered at by girlfriends and your parents...

Q1: What is sound?

Sound is a form of energy that is created by vibrations and travels through a medium, such as air, water, or solids.

Q2: How does sound travel?

Sound travels in the form of waves, which are created by vibrations. The medium through which the sound travels determines the speed and direction of the waves.

Q3: What is the relationship between pitch and frequency?

Pitch is the perception of how high or low a sound is, while frequency is the number of vibrations per second. The higher the frequency, the higher the pitch.

Q4: Why does sound travel faster in solids than in gases?

Sound travels faster in solids because the molecules in solids are closer together, allowing the sound waves to travel more quickly and efficiently.

Q5: How does sound interact with different materials?

Sound can be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted when it encounters different materials. This interaction depends on factors such as the density and texture of the material, as well as the frequency of the sound wave.