Frequency of G 3 Octaves Up on Middle Ages Harp - 200 Hz

• Thread starter smillphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the frequency of G on the same harp 3 octaves up from the low A with a frequency of 200 Hz can be calculated using the formula 2^(m/12)*200, where m is the number of semitones between the two notes. In this case, m=10, so the frequency of G would be 2^(10/12)*200 = 237.8 Hz. Alternatively, you can also count the number of semitones between the two notes or find the frequency of a G that is 2 semitones below the low A and then move up 3 octaves.
smillphysics
A harp from the middle ages produces a low A with a frequency of 200 Hz. What is the frequency of G on the same harp 3 octaves up?

frequency=2^(m/12)*frequency

SO 2^(m/12)*200Hz, I decided that m=9 and for each increase in an octave I though that you were supposed to mutliply 12 so in this case it would 12*12*12. The equation will read
2^(9/36)*200=237.8Hz but this is the wrong answer.
Here is the hint that is provided: Remember the order of the notes is A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G# (m=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12).

I think I am just using the wrong numbers but any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they mean the G that is 3 octaves minus a whole tone above A. (it's slightly ambiguous, they could also mean 3 octaves + 10 semitones, but I took the G that was closest to the A that's 3 octaves up)

you can just count how many semitones there are between the Low A and this G, or you can find out the frequency of the G that's 2 semitones below the low A and then move up 3 octaves

An octave is 12 semitones so m = 12. that means the frequecy of a
note that's one octave up is a factor 2^(12/12) = 2 higher.

I would like to clarify that the frequency of a note is not dependent on the instrument, but rather on the fundamental physical property of sound waves. Therefore, the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a middle ages harp would be the same as the frequency of G 3 octaves up on any other instrument or even a human voice.

To calculate the frequency of G 3 octaves up from a low A with a frequency of 200 Hz, we can use the formula f = f0 * 2^n, where f0 is the frequency of the starting note and n is the number of octaves.

In this case, we want to find the frequency of G, which is 7 notes above A. Using the hint provided, we can see that G is 7 notes above A, so n = 7 in the formula.

Therefore, the frequency of G 3 octaves up would be f = 200 Hz * 2^7 = 200 Hz * 128 = 25,600 Hz.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of frequency and how it is not dependent on the instrument.

1. What is the significance of the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp?

The frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp is significant because it is a common tuning used during that time period. It is also known as the "natural" tuning because it is based on the natural overtone series. This frequency was often used as a reference point for other notes on the harp.

2. How does the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp compare to modern tuning?

In modern tuning, the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp would be approximately 392 Hz. This is slightly lower than the standard tuning of 440 Hz used in modern music. This difference in frequency is due to changes in tuning standards over time.

3. What is the range of frequencies typically used on a Middle Ages harp?

The range of frequencies used on a Middle Ages harp can vary, but it is generally between 200-2000 Hz. This range covers multiple octaves and allows for a wide range of musical expression on the instrument.

4. How was the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp determined?

The frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp was determined by using mathematical ratios based on the natural overtone series. This was a common method of tuning instruments during the Middle Ages.

5. Is the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp still used in modern music?

While the frequency of G 3 octaves up on a Middle Ages harp is not commonly used in modern music, it is still used in some traditional and folk music styles. It is also occasionally used in contemporary music to create a unique sound or to pay homage to historical musical practices.