1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sound with octaves

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    A harp from the middle ages produces a low A with a frequency of 200 Hz. What is the frequency of G on the same harp 3 octaves up?

frequency=2^(m/12)*frequency

SO 2^(m/12)*200Hz, I decided that m=9 and for each increase in an octave I though that you were supposed to mutliply 12 so in this case it would 12*12*12. The equation will read
    2^(9/36)*200=237.8Hz but this is the wrong answer.
    Here is the hint that is provided: Remember the order of the notes is A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G# (m=0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12).

I think I am just using the wrong numbers but any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    I think they mean the G that is 3 octaves minus a whole tone above A. (it's slightly ambiguous, they could also mean 3 octaves + 10 semitones, but I took the G that was closest to the A that's 3 octaves up)

you can just count how many semitones there are between the Low A and this G, or you can find out the frequency of the G that's 2 semitones below the low A and then move up 3 octaves

An octave is 12 semitones so m = 12. that means the frequecy of a
    note that's one octave up is a factor 2^(12/12) = 2 higher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook