Soundless Music Shown to Produce Weird Sensations: Reuters

In summary, many churches and cathedrals have organ pipes that are so long they emit infrasound which at a frequency lower than 20 Hertz is largely inaudible to the human ear. This can cause feelings of excitement, religiousness, and other sensations in people.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Mysteriously snuffed out candles, weird sensations and shivers down the spine may not be due to the presence of ghosts in haunted houses but to very low frequency sound that is inaudible to humans

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=3401200

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
AKA "wind"

This one reminds me of the thread dealing with high performance car stereo systems. I had read where some enthusiasts thought it a pointless drain on your system to produce/reproduce sounds below the threshold of human hearing. Other enthusiasts thought it still made sense, claiming that even if you couldn’t hear the sound your body could still feel it.

Maybe those darn kids are at it again.

Different issue entirely, boulder. You can most certainly feel low frequency sound. Pop Jurrasic Park into your DVD player and crank it up (if you have a decent sound system). Generally the frequency response in a good sub goes down to 20hz or so.

I've heard of but never experienced that. Must be pretty neat.

When I was stationed in Hawaii, a fellow Marine had a cd of a volcanic eruption. When he played it through his his Cerwin Vegas at "11" you would hear nothing for the first two minutes or so. As it got closer to the audible part I could feel a slight excitement at my core and would have a feeling like, "LET'S GET OUTA HERE!" almost like when you KNOW something is wrong but you can't say exactly what. Drinking beer from a bottle made your lips tickle. The MP's canines would be visibly upset and there was a noticeable lack of birdsong. After a few minutes we would have to go back inside and put things back where the were originally because they "walked". Never thought much about it until now. Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Echo 6 Sierra
When I was stationed in Hawaii, a fellow Marine had a cd of a volcanic eruption.
Any idea where I could get that from?

I have a cd called "The Big Picture" which has some great high power movie sound/music clips. One is the launch sequence from Apollo 13. The CD comes with a warning about possible damage to your speakers due to the low frequncy sounds in some of the clips. I had my speakers sitting on my desk at school and they used to "blow" things across the desk - papers, pencils, coffee cups, etc.

BRB, I need to go buy a new (bigger) sub...

Sorry, this is all I could come up with:

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/frequent_questions/grp13/question956.html

good luck.

E6S

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is soundless music?

Soundless music refers to a type of music that is produced without any audible sound. This can be achieved through various techniques, such as using ultrasound or infrasound frequencies that are outside the range of human hearing.

2. How does soundless music produce weird sensations?

Soundless music has been found to stimulate the brain and trigger unusual sensations, such as tingling, pressure, and even out-of-body experiences. This is believed to be due to the way the brain processes and interprets the frequencies of soundless music.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claims of weird sensations produced by soundless music?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on the effects of soundless music on the brain and the body. These studies have shown that soundless music can indeed produce strange sensations and have even linked it to changes in brain activity and altered states of consciousness.

4. Can anyone experience these weird sensations from soundless music?

It is not guaranteed that everyone will experience these sensations from soundless music. Some people may be more sensitive to the frequencies used in soundless music, while others may not feel anything at all. It also depends on the individual's state of mind and their receptiveness to the music.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with listening to soundless music?

There is currently no evidence of any major risks associated with listening to soundless music. However, as with any type of music or sound, individuals who are prone to seizures, migraines, or other neurological conditions should use caution and consult with a doctor before listening to soundless music.