1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sounds easy but

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    A friend of mine gave me this problem to solve because he couldn't and I've been stuck in it for some time and also can't solve.

If a, b, c are positive real numbers and a + b + c + 2 = abc, find the smallest value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c.

PS: I'm guessing this is the right section, 'cause this is not a homework.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2
    The only thing I can see that fits for the first part is a, b, and c are all 2.
    2+2+2+2=8 and 2x2x2=8. So the last part would be 1.5
    smallest value of 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2=1.5
    Unless I am reading something wrong.
  4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    Yep, I got this result as well, but there's nothing that proves that there isn't a combination of numbers which will make 1/a + 1/b + 1/c < 1.5
  5. Aug 28, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two ways that you can do this:
    1) Use Lagrange multipliers. You're trying to minimize a function given a constraint so it would work, but might be ugly.

2) Square something crazy. This looks like it's probably a high school math competition problem, which means that 1 is an inappropriate solution. Instead you probably need to do something like square something, which you know is greater than or equal to zero, or maybe use AM/GM. I don't see exactly what it is you would be using but I'll think about it

As for other solutions:

(-2-b-c)/(1-bc)=a. Now pick values of b and c making this positive. For example if b=c=3, we get (-2-6)/(1-9)=-8/-8=1. So (1,3,3) is also a solution

Of course this isn't a better solution, but you never know if there is one. The symmetric solution is usually optimal when the problem is symmetric.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook