Solve 1/a + 1/b + 1/c When a+b+c+2=abc

• Thread starter Hobold
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the smallest value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c where a, b, and c are positive real numbers that satisfy the equation a + b + c + 2 = abc. The solution to this problem is 1.5, assuming that a, b, and c are all 2. However, it is possible that there are other combinations of numbers that could result in 1/a + 1/b + 1/c being less than 1.5. One possible approach to solving this problem is using Lagrange multipliers or by squaring and using the AM/GM method. Another solution that is not necessarily better but still worth considering is using the equation (-2
Hobold
A friend of mine gave me this problem to solve because he couldn't and I've been stuck in it for some time and also can't solve.

If a, b, c are positive real numbers and a + b + c + 2 = abc, find the smallest value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c.

PS: I'm guessing this is the right section, 'cause this is not a homework.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The only thing I can see that fits for the first part is a, b, and c are all 2.
2+2+2+2=8 and 2x2x2=8. So the last part would be 1.5
smallest value of 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2=1.5
Unless I am reading something wrong.

physi-man said:
The only thing I can see that fits for the first part is a, b, and c are all 2.
2+2+2+2=8 and 2x2x2=8. So the last part would be 1.5
smallest value of 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2=1.5
Unless I am reading something wrong.

Yep, I got this result as well, but there's nothing that proves that there isn't a combination of numbers which will make 1/a + 1/b + 1/c < 1.5

There are two ways that you can do this:
1) Use Lagrange multipliers. You're trying to minimize a function given a constraint so it would work, but might be ugly.

2) Square something crazy. This looks like it's probably a high school math competition problem, which means that 1 is an inappropriate solution. Instead you probably need to do something like square something, which you know is greater than or equal to zero, or maybe use AM/GM. I don't see exactly what it is you would be using but I'll think about it

As for other solutions:

a(1-bc)+b+c+2=0

(-2-b-c)/(1-bc)=a. Now pick values of b and c making this positive. For example if b=c=3, we get (-2-6)/(1-9)=-8/-8=1. So (1,3,3) is also a solution

Of course this isn't a better solution, but you never know if there is one. The symmetric solution is usually optimal when the problem is symmetric.

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first setting up the equation and then manipulating it to see if any patterns or relationships emerge. In this case, we have the equation a + b + c + 2 = abc, and we want to find the smallest value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c.

One way to approach this problem is to use the method of substitution. We can rearrange the original equation to get c = (a + b + 2)/(ab - 1). We can then substitute this value of c into the expression 1/a + 1/b + 1/c to get 1/a + 1/b + (ab - 1)/(a + b + 2). This expression can be simplified to (ab + a + b + 1)/(ab(a + b + 2)). This shows that the expression 1/a + 1/b + 1/c is dependent on the values of a and b.

To find the smallest value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c, we can use the method of differentiation. Taking the derivative of the expression with respect to a and setting it equal to 0, we get the equation (ab + b + 1 - a^2b)/(ab(a + b + 2)^2) = 0. Solving for a, we get a = (b + 1)/(b - 1). Similarly, taking the derivative with respect to b and setting it equal to 0, we get b = (a + 1)/(a - 1). Substituting these values into the expression 1/a + 1/b + (ab - 1)/(a + b + 2), we get the smallest value as 3/2.

In conclusion, the smallest value of 1/a + 1/b + 1/c is 3/2 when a = (b + 1)/(b - 1) and b = (a + 1)/(a - 1). I would recommend double-checking the steps and values to ensure accuracy. Additionally, this problem may have multiple solutions and it may be helpful to explore other methods of solving it.

1)

What does the equation "1/a + 1/b + 1/c When a+b+c+2=abc" represent?

The equation represents a mathematical problem that involves solving for the values of a, b, and c in order for the equation to be true.

2)

How do you approach solving this equation?

To solve this equation, we can first rearrange it to get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides by abc. This will result in an equation with only whole numbers. Then, we can use algebraic manipulation and substitution to solve for the values of a, b, and c.

3)

What are the possible solutions for this equation?

There are multiple solutions for this equation, as it is a quadratic equation. However, the solutions must satisfy the condition that a, b, and c are positive integers. Therefore, the possible solutions are limited to a few combinations of positive integers that satisfy the equation.

4)

Can this equation be solved using any other methods?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this equation, such as using a graphing calculator or using numerical methods like Newton's method. However, these methods may not result in exact solutions and may require rounding or approximation.

5)

What is the significance of this equation in the field of mathematics?

This equation is known as a Diophantine equation, which is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding integer solutions to equations with multiple variables. It has been studied extensively and has connections to various branches of mathematics such as algebraic geometry and number theory.