Sounds of Moving Objects

• Thread starter Ultros88
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on using sound to control the motion of an object and the possibility of perpetual motion. It is noted that this idea is not feasible and that amplifiers require external power. Aeroacoustics is suggested as a field of study for more information. Additionally, it is discussed that the concept of perpetual motion violates the laws of thermodynamics.
Ultros88
Hi, I was wondering what branches of physics and mathematics deals with calculating the type of sound produced when various shaped objects move in the air at relatively slow speeds. Specifically I was wondering if it would be possible to move an object, say to spin a pin wheel, by using a very sensitive microphone to pick up the sound it makes whilst moving and then applying that sound at that location with a speaker. Plus, does anyone know where I can find out more about the fact that a light piece of cardboard will be attracted to a vibrating tuning fork.

Thanks,
Ultros

Physics news on Phys.org
Aeroacoustics is your best bet.

It sounds like you are trying to form some kind of perpetual motion machine by using the sound through an amplifier to further propel the device. Is this so?

Please note: perpetual motion is crackpottery and we don't allow crackpottery here.

Please note also: amplifiers require external power to drive speakers.

Garvin,
Thanks for pointing me to aeroacoustics. I wasn't really thinking about perpetual motion just wondering if I could use sound to control the motion of a pinwheel. It looks like I'll have to be pretty far along in a mechanical engineering degree to figure everything out.

Waters,
Show me why you think the universe isn't perpetual motion.

Ultros88 said:
Waters,

Well, because it will run down and stop.

Ultros88 said:
Besides what was already said, you need to understand what is actually meant when someone says "perpetual motion". There are three types of perpetual motion machines, one for each of the laws of thermodynamics they violate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion#Classification

What are "Sounds of Moving Objects"?

"Sounds of Moving Objects" refers to the noises produced by objects as they move through space. These sounds can vary depending on the type, size, and speed of the object, as well as the medium through which it is moving.

What causes "Sounds of Moving Objects"?

The specific cause of these sounds can vary, but they are generally produced by vibrations or disturbances in the surrounding medium. For example, the sound of a car driving by is caused by the vibrations of the engine and wheels on the road, which travel through the air and into our ears.

Can the sounds of moving objects be measured?

Yes, the sounds of moving objects can be measured using a variety of instruments, such as microphones, accelerometers, or seismometers. These instruments can capture and analyze the vibrations produced by moving objects and provide data on the sound levels and frequencies.

How does the speed of an object affect its sound?

The speed of an object can greatly impact the sound it produces. As an object moves faster, it tends to produce a higher frequency sound, which can be perceived as a higher pitch. This is due to the increased frequency of vibrations and the compression of sound waves as the object moves through the medium.

Do different objects produce different sounds when moving?

Yes, different objects can produce different sounds when moving due to variations in size, shape, and material. For example, a large truck moving on a road will produce a deeper and louder sound than a small bicycle moving on the same road. Additionally, the surface and medium through which the object is moving can also impact the sound it produces.