1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Soup race

1. Nov 5, 2004 #1
    hey everybody, im new to the forum, and glad to be here. looks like a great place for help when all has failed! :cry:
    if you race 2 cans of broth down a ramp, one frozen and one still liquid, which one wins?
    well, i did this mathematically, using the equation for a solid ring: V=sqrt[(4/3)gh] which i got from Kinetic energy equations, and the size and mass are irrelevant b/c they cancel out.
    the result with this equation says that the frozen can wins, so i was very surprised to find the liquid can whipped the frozen can's butt on a piece of plywood in my backyard.
    i have been looking for a way to get a solution through the use of Kenetic energy of: can, translational, and the soup. any help would be very much appreciated, b/c i am stumped. :confused: thanks.
    also, for curious reasons, how would you define translational kinetic energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2004 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?