Source for Dale resistors

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
Can any one give me a source for these resistors please?

Answers and Replies

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Google is your friend. I just tried a search for Dale resistors and found several sources.

berkeman
Mentor
Can any one give me a source for these resistors please?
I just did a quick search at Digikey and at Mouser, and it looks like Dale is now part of Vishay. Maybe that was confusing your searches. :smile:

wolram
Gold Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I have been searching for a supply in England with no luck, other suppliers will not sell in small numbers.

berkeman
Mentor
What's special about Dale? What are the specs you are trying to match?

wolram
Gold Member
What's special about Dale? What are the specs you are trying to match?
I am told that Dale resistors have low noise and are the best for guitar amplifiers, I am not sure that is right but I would rather err on the on recommendations.

berkeman
Mentor
I am told that Dale resistors have low noise and are the best for guitar amplifiers, I am not sure that is right but I would rather err on the on recommendations.
Sounds like an Urban Legend to me. AFAIK, all resistors give you the 4kTRB type of noise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

Unless the resistors have built-in bandwidth (B) limiting <something> like high parasitic capacitance, I don't know where that idea came from.

Likes Averagesupernova
I don't know where that idea came from.
It goes back to the time when carbon composition resistors reigned supreme. A wirewound Dale (with mostly thermal noise) is noticeably quieter than a carbon comp which also has plenty of contact noise, and shot noise.

Thinking back, my 70's era Bassman 50 was built using mostly carbon comp. I don't know when manufacturers began changing to metal film, but they are nearly as quiet as wire wound (and not nearly so inductive), and would have obviated the need.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Regardless of the noise thing. If you only need a few selected resistances, I have a some I'd be willing to give you.
dale.jpg

wolram
Gold Member
Thank you for the offer Digoff, but I have found a source and ordered my resistors :biggrin:

Likes dlgoff