Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source for Dale resistors

1. Aug 11, 2017 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Can any one give me a source for these resistors please?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Google is your friend. I just tried a search for Dale resistors and found several sources.

4. Aug 11, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I just did a quick search at Digikey and at Mouser, and it looks like Dale is now part of Vishay. Maybe that was confusing your searches. :smile:

5. Aug 11, 2017 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been searching for a supply in England with no luck, other suppliers will not sell in small numbers.

6. Aug 11, 2017 #5

berkeman

What's special about Dale? What are the specs you are trying to match?

7. Aug 11, 2017 #6

wolram

Gold Member

I am told that Dale resistors have low noise and are the best for guitar amplifiers, I am not sure that is right but I would rather err on the on recommendations.

8. Aug 11, 2017 #7

berkeman

Sounds like an Urban Legend to me. AFAIK, all resistors give you the 4kTRB type of noise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson–Nyquist_noise

Unless the resistors have built-in bandwidth (B) limiting <something> like high parasitic capacitance, I don't know where that idea came from.

9. Aug 11, 2017 #8
    It goes back to the time when carbon composition resistors reigned supreme. A wirewound Dale (with mostly thermal noise) is noticeably quieter than a carbon comp which also has plenty of contact noise, and shot noise.

Thinking back, my 70's era Bassman 50 was built using mostly carbon comp. I don't know when manufacturers began changing to metal film, but they are nearly as quiet as wire wound (and not nearly so inductive), and would have obviated the need.

10. Aug 12, 2017 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. Aug 12, 2017 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Regardless of the noise thing. If you only need a few selected resistances, I have a some I'd be willing to give you.
    dale.jpg

12. Aug 14, 2017 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Thank you for the offer Digoff, but I have found a source and ordered my resistors :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted