1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source-free 2nd order lin. circuit

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    RLC second order linear network question:
    So, we are given this equation which is the same for Vc(t) and iL(t) expressed as x(t):

2nd deriv of x(t) + R/L(1st deriv of x(t)) + 1/(LC)(x(t)) = 0;

And in one of the problems it asks to find both equation for the Vc(t) and iL(t) for t < 0, and now I am confused, it seems to me that they are the same, since the solution is the same for both of them:

aS^2 + bS + c = 0;
    because the coefficients are the same from differential equation, so there are the same roots for Vc(t) and iL(t), and roots are w/t imaginary part, just reals.
    Am I wrong?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not sure I understand what you are asking exactly, but perhaps this will help.

An LC circuit with resistance is simply a damped harmonic oscillator. The differential equation:

[tex]L\ddot x(t) + R\dot x(t) + \frac{1}{C}x(t) = 0[/tex]

has the general solution:

[tex]x = A_0e^{-\gamma t}sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

where [itex]\omega^2 = \omega_0^2 - \gamma^2[/itex] and
    [itex]\omega_0^2 = 1/LC[/itex] and
    [itex]\gamma = R/2L[/itex]

The relationship between V and I in an RLC circuit is:

[tex]V = IZ[/tex] where is the impedance: [itex]Z^2 = R^2 + (\omega L - 1/\omega C)^2[/itex]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?