Source-free current response

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit using KVL and writing a differential equation in terms of current. The initial current is found to be 2 amps and an attempt is made to solve for the source-free current response. However, there is confusion regarding the signs and polarities in the equations and it is suggested that there may be an error in the way the differential equation is set up.
k_squared
1. Homework Statement
For the following circuit, use KVL to write a differential equation in terms of current i and solve for the source-free current response if v(0+) = 40 V.

onM6H2O.jpg

Homework Equations

$$(s-s_1)Ae^{st}=0$$
$$i=C(d/dt)v$$
$$v=Ae^{s_1*t}$$

$$i=(-1/R)V_0e^{\frac{-t/}{RC}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Finding the initial current is not so difficult. We have: $$-40 +22i-2i=0$$, for an initial current of 2 amps.

I came up with: $$(4)i-22(d/dt)i+2(d/dt)i=0$$, thus with 4/24, we have $$s+1/6=0$$.

However the answer is $$2e^{-\frac{1}{5}t}$$, meaning that s_1= 1\5, not 1\6!

I assume the two and the four have to be the same sign, because they are both voltage sources that are lined up with each other such that their voltage becomes greater rather than lesser. However, this means that s_1 becomes positive, or the sources of voltage in this circuit (ie, the capacitor and the dependent voltage source) have different signs!

Alas, s_1 is negative as expected. Therefore, I must be missing something.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait... is it because any component with $$d/dt$$ is going to be negative in a stable circuit?

k_squared said:
1. Homework Statement

I came up with: $$(4)i-22(d/dt)i+2(d/dt)i=0$$, thus with 4/24, we have $$s+1/6=0$$.
Not sure I understood everything you wrote, but your equation here has the wrong polarities.
I also don't follow how you solved your diff. eq.

k_squared said:
I came up with:
(4)i-22(d/dt)i+2(d/dt)i=0
I think this simplifies to
(4)i - 20(d/dt)i = 0
so there's your 5.

But haven't you inadvertently swapped i where you should have v here?

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach seems reasonable, but there are a few things that you may have overlooked or misunderstood.

Firstly, your initial current calculation is incorrect. The voltage across the 22Ω resistor is -40V, not +40V as you have assumed. This is because the current is flowing in the opposite direction of the voltage drop. Therefore, the correct equation should be: -40V + 22i + 2i = 0, giving an initial current of -2A.

Secondly, your differential equation is also incorrect. The correct form should be: -40V + 22i + 2i = -20i = 0, since there is no voltage source in the circuit and the dependent voltage source is multiplied by the current. Solving for i, we get i = 0, meaning there is no current in the circuit.

Finally, the answer given in the problem, 2e^(-1/5t), is the correct solution. This can be obtained by solving the differential equation: -20(di/dt) = 0, giving di/dt = 0. Integrating both sides with respect to time, we get i = 2e^(-1/5t) + C, where C is the constant of integration. Since the initial current is 0, C = 0 and we are left with the final solution of i = 2e^(-1/5t).

I hope this clears up any confusion and helps you understand the problem better. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

What is source-free current response?

Source-free current response refers to the behavior of electric currents in a circuit when there is no external power supply or source influencing the flow of electrons. This can occur in circuits where all sources of voltage have been removed or disconnected.

How does source-free current response differ from source-driven current response?

Source-free current response is characterized by a steady state current flow, while source-driven current response involves changing currents due to the presence of an external power source. Additionally, source-free current response is governed by the properties of the circuit components, whereas source-driven current response is influenced by both the components and the source.

What are the key equations used to analyze source-free current response?

The main equation used to analyze source-free current response is Ohm's Law, which relates the current (I) flowing through a component to the voltage (V) across the component and its resistance (R). Another important equation is Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that node.

What factors can affect source-free current response in a circuit?

The resistance of the circuit components, as well as the arrangement of the components (series or parallel), can greatly impact the source-free current response. Additionally, the presence of capacitors or inductors in the circuit can also affect the current response due to their ability to store and release energy.

Why is understanding source-free current response important for circuit analysis?

Source-free current response is crucial for analyzing and designing circuits, as it allows us to predict the behavior of currents in a circuit without the influence of external sources. This understanding can help troubleshoot circuit malfunctions and optimize circuit performance.