Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source of bites

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting these bites from. Skeets or fleas or whatever.

I've got about six bites in the soft crook behind my left knee. None behind the right knee.
    They are very itchy.
    They have been occurring over at least a week or more. Still occurring, in fact.
    I've been wearing long pants, so no shorts.
    My wife sits on the same couch as I and she has no bites. Same with bed.
    Yes, I've been around cats and dogs but no one of them over the week+ that this has been occurring.
    My office is carpeted, but I'm almost alone in my pod, and none of my pod-mates have animals.

I know it's flea season, making them a very likely culprit, and I've seen mosquitos even this late in the season, but why only me and why only in that specific spot?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Once fleas have gorged, they fall off, or so I have read. So maybe you had one flea, it ate well, then fell off outside the house/office, end of bites.

I read an awful lot about fleas last year when I was being attacked.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Except that they're continuing. A bite or two every few days over the last couple of weeks.

I should mention that for one of those weeks I was away on a cruise - but I'm afraid that'll have people barking up the wrong tree. I got my first batch of bites before going on the cruise - they were itchy enough that I bought some Hydrocortizone cream to take on my trip. Now I'm back, and I've got another bite or two.

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

Evo

So the little blood suckers are partial to you.

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    Could they be shingles?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Only if shingles manifest exactly like flea bites or skeeter bites...

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7
  9. Oct 6, 2008 #8
  10. Oct 6, 2008 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was attacked for two two weeks or so by what I am sure were fleas. I don't know where they were coming from, at home I was fine but in the bus and in the lab I would get bites.

I'm a magnet to biting bugs, it could be the same for you (explaining that your wife is not being bugged).

11. Oct 6, 2008 #10
    Last fall I got several{6} flea bites, the cat got 3, the dog was not itching, but discovered 10+ bites on her backside, my partner got none. I had to bomb the whole house, and spray the yard.

12. Oct 6, 2008 #11

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

DaveC426913 ... you and all of your mysteries. Have you washed and changed your pants? I wonder if there are any bugs that like to reside in that one area but are small not to be noticed.

Wipe the site with Isopropanol then apply some Calamine lotion. If it happens again then isolate the area , put something over it , if it continues then you either have incredibly small bugs or some type of event that is intrinsic to your body.

13. Oct 6, 2008 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yah, I read about that. No, not really. One on the side of the knee, three in the crook, one on the meat of the calf.

14. Oct 8, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Great.

My pod-mate was just diagnosed with scabies.

But I'm pretty sure it's unrelated.

15. Oct 8, 2008 #14

Evo

16. Oct 8, 2008 #15

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like you've got an infestation of chiggers. They are bad in the fall but can be easily controlled outdoors by mowing and with pesticides. I find the chiggers need something like socks and long pants to hold on to. If you walk in an infested area with shorts and sandals, you won't suffer any bites on your lower legs.

17. Oct 8, 2008 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yeah, you know, chiggers makes more sense.

18. Oct 8, 2008 #17

Evo

If your co-worker has scabies (mites) why would you think you didn't pick some up?

19. Oct 8, 2008 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1] I'm not intimate with him.
    2] The symptoms are all wrong. My bites are manifesting exactly like skeeter/flea/chigger bites, not scabies.
    3] The doctor doubts it.
    4] And finally: the timing is completely wrong. I started getting my bites two weeks ago. He only had his "mattress incident" this week.

20. Oct 8, 2008 #19

Evo

Maybe you infected him. :surprised

Have you been intimate with chiggers? :uhh:

Last year I thought I had bed bugs, but it turned out to be fleas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?