Source of Energy for the Rotation of Earth

In summary: Thus, the rotation rate of the Earth may be a combination of the angular momentum of the early Earth, and a later event. I would suspect that the early Earth was a lot faster than it is now, and the Moon moves very slowly away from the Earth, indicating that there is still some residual angular momentum transfer. Originally posted by BasketDaN Well... in a frictionless environment (space), it is almost impossible for something to not be spinning, correct?Yes, that is correct. In a frictionless environment, any object that has a non-zero angular momentum (rotational movement) will continue to rotate indefinitely. This is due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular
BasketDaN
If the Earth were to all of a sudden stop spinning, would it ever start up again? Basically, is the Earth only spinning because it started that way,(and it being in space, no friction to slow it down), or is there any other contributing factor?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Basically you've got it.

To slow down the Earth has to shed both Energy and Angular momentum. The chief mechanism for that is the Tidal Effect which transfers angular momentum to the Moon and energy to the oceans. A lesser mechanism involves the fact that the Earth rotates in the Sun's magnetic field, transfering angular momentum to the sun and losing energy by eddy currents.

I wish I could understand a word anybody said on this site lol.

Originally posted by BasketDaN

LOL! The way you posed the question shows that you actually do understand the concepts to which Tyger is referring, even if you don't understand the exact terminology. You asked if the Earth just "started out spinning", and there simply isn't enough friction in space to have stopped it. Tyger was basically answering "yes" to that question. The phenomenon to which you were referring (friction causing a spinning thing to slow down and stop) is a good example of what he was talking about when he referred to shedding the energy of angular momentum.

As you pointed out, in space there is not much friction; no "atmosphere" to brush against the planet's surface and absorb the angular momentum (spinning energy). However, there is the sun's magnetic field, and the moon's gravitational pull. In order to keep spinning, the Earth has to disturb both of these "forces", and so each of them exerts some brakeing power on the planet.

Another force that might be leaching away the angular momentum is a gravitational effect known as "frame dragging", which is predicted by general relativity. We do not yet have empirical evidence of frame dragging, but NASA is scheduled to launch a probe in June that should collect that evidence.

:smile: Well, welcome to Physics Forums! Rest assured that you'll get the full story here. :smile:

Hehe thanks for the help... Ya see I get all these stupid ideas,,, the one I was thinking about when I made this post was

"I wonder if the rotation of the Earth could somehow be harnessed as an energy source? I have seen pendulums that perpetually swing with no energy added to them because of the rotation of the earth... hmmm but that'd be really bad if the Earth could possibly be halted in its rotation!"

Lol yeahhhhhhhh

Hehe thanks for the help... Ya see I get all these stupid ideas,,, the one I was thinking about when I made this post was

"I wonder if the rotation of the Earth could somehow be harnessed as an energy source? I have seen pendulums that perpetually swing with no energy added to them because of the rotation of the earth... hmmm but that'd be really bad if the Earth could possibly be halted in its rotation!"

Lol yeahhhhhhhh

Egad, that really could get ugly! But I think you may be combining two different stories, here. AFAIK, there are no pendulums that swing perpetually because of the Earth's rotation.

However, I have seen a novelty item in the form of the pendulum that appears to continue swinging indefinitely on its own. In reality, there is a small magnet hidden in the base of the stand which continues to switch on and off giving the pendulum a "push" each time it swings. Also, there is a pendulum on display in a museum (I forget where) which is used to demonstrate the Earth's rotation. The pendulum is so large and heavy and well-made that when museum curators start it swinging in the morning, it continues to swing all day.

BTW, if we ever did find a way to harness the kinetic energy of planetary movement to perform useful work, I don't think we would ever use enough to significantly affect the motion of the planet.

Originally posted by LURCH
Also, there is a pendulum on display in a museum (I forget where) which is used to demonstrate the Earth's rotation.

You must refer to Foucault's pendulum

The source of the current rotation rate of the Earth is most likely the impact that created the moon. Also, there was a lot of angular momentum stored when the pieces that made up the Earth conglomerated.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
The source of the current rotation rate of the Earth is most likely the impact that created the moon. Also, there was a lot of angular momentum stored when the pieces that made up the Earth conglomerated.
I would expect that its mostly the later.

Well... in a frictionless environment (space), it is almost impossible for something to not be spinning, correct?

Tend to agree, RW, because Mars is an example of a planet without a significant moon (demios/phobos are small wrt planets mass) and Mars rotates at a good what 23 hrs per day. However, most of the terrestrial planets rotate more slowly, tending to orbital resonance etc. It's not impossible that Mars was struck with a massive object at some time in its past also.

1. How does Earth rotate?

Earth rotates on its axis, which is an imaginary line that runs through the North and South poles. This rotation causes day and night as different parts of the Earth are facing towards or away from the sun.

2. What is the source of energy for Earth's rotation?

The source of energy for Earth's rotation is its own internal heat. This heat is generated by the radioactive decay of elements in the Earth's core and drives the movement of the molten iron in the outer core, which in turn creates the Earth's magnetic field.

3. Is Earth's rotation constant?

No, Earth's rotation is not constant. It is affected by various factors such as the gravitational pull of the moon and other celestial bodies, as well as the distribution of mass on Earth's surface. This causes the rotation to vary slightly over time.

4. How long does it take for Earth to complete one rotation?

Earth takes approximately 24 hours to complete one rotation on its axis. This is why we have a 24-hour day and night cycle.

5. Can the source of energy for Earth's rotation ever run out?

It is believed that the source of energy for Earth's rotation will eventually run out in billions of years. This will happen when the Earth's core cools down and its magnetic field weakens, causing the Earth to rotate slower and eventually stop rotating altogether.