Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Source of photon propagation

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1
    Imagine a massless, classically zero curvature, infinite spacetime in which propagates a single actual photon. What eventually motivated this photon to propagate, and does its trajectory or energy vary due to the spacetime vacuum energy?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's impossible to answer the first question. I believe the answer to the second is that the vacuum energy would be completely irrelevant in a universe without gravity. If the photon actually has a trajectory depends on the state it's in. If it's a momentum eigenstate, its position is smeared out over the entire universe.
  4. Nov 15, 2004 #3
    Given an infinite time, we can use the uncertainty principle to argue that energy is borrowed from the vacuum, a particle-antiparticle pair for example is created and the particles then annihilate into 2 gamma photons which travel in opposite directions, instead of going back into the vacuum. Then, if you want, you can ignore one of them (I wonder if this makes sense!?!). I can't answer the second question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?