Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Source Superposition

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    snbz1.png
    This isn't a homework assignment, this is straight from the textbook. They work it out but I'm still not following, would it be possible for someone to go through this step by step and explain
    it clearly? (How to determine the current due to the voltage source and due to the current source.) I can get the right answer when it comes to determining the current due to the voltage source but the current source trips me up. Thanks.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the current source drawing (b): You have 6 A going into the junction. How is the current split between the two resistors? Note that they share the same voltage. Are they in series or in parallel?
    For the voltage source (c): You have two resistors that share the same current. How much current do they draw? Are they in series or in parallel?

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks. My big problem was not realizing I had to convert the current source into a voltage source by placing the parallel resistor in series.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook