Source Transformation Question

In summary: The -9V source can be removed because the two 4 ohm resistors are in series, so they can be replaced by an 8 ohm resistor. From there, the circuit can be solved using basic series and parallel resistor equations. In summary, the conversation discusses issues with solving a circuit problem and suggests starting from the left side instead. It is noted that the leftmost voltage source can be eliminated and replaced with an equivalent resistor, simplifying the circuit. The approach of solving the circuit using basic series and parallel resistor equations is also mentioned.
Mutantx

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5328/prob31.jpg

Homework Equations

v = r * i

The Attempt at a Solution

Having issues with the left box I think. I have been starting on the right side and working left by first starting with the 5A current source. I guess I'm having issues with the circuit placement after the transformation and how it ends up turning out once you get to the left box which I believe isn't in series at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mutantx said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5328/prob31.jpg

Homework Equations

v = r * i

The Attempt at a Solution

Having issues with the left box I think. I have been starting on the right side and working left by first starting with the 5A current source. I guess I'm having issues with the circuit placement after the transformation and how it ends up turning out once you get to the left box which I believe isn't in series at all.

It's actually more straightforward to start from the left. The left most source (+9V with two 4 ohm resistors) can be eliminated because the -9V voltage source will force the node to a fixed voltage no matter what the +9V source current is.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is source transformation?

Source transformation is a technique used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits by replacing voltage sources with equivalent current sources and vice versa.

Why is source transformation useful?

Source transformation allows for easier analysis and calculation of circuit parameters such as voltage, current, and resistance. It also helps in reducing the number of components in a circuit, making it more efficient and cost-effective.

How do you perform source transformation?

To perform source transformation, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify the type of source (voltage or current) in the circuit.
  2. Replace the voltage source with its equivalent current source by dividing the voltage by the resistance.
  3. Replace the current source with its equivalent voltage source by multiplying the current by the resistance.
  4. Simplify the circuit using Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws.

What are the limitations of source transformation?

Source transformation is only applicable to linear circuits, meaning circuits that follow Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. It also cannot be used if the circuit contains dependent sources.

What are some examples of source transformation?

Some common examples of source transformation include converting a voltage source in series with a resistor to a current source in parallel with the same resistor, and converting a current source in parallel with a resistor to a voltage source in series with the same resistor.