Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources for Magnet wire?

1. Apr 2, 2007 #1
    Hello All,

In my projects, I am constantly winding coils and more coils, which all use magnet wire of various lengts and gauges. Most of the stuff, I buy from RadioShack or eBay in50' and 100' rolls. But since I go through a lot of it, I figured it would be worth the money to just buy a couple of large rolls to use for future experiments. I am looking for some stuff between 20 and 26 gauge generally and I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any good sites for buying it in bulk (bulk meaning about 1-5lb) for a decent price. If all else fails, I'll be snooping around eBay for some more.

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Mouser is a handy distributor of magnet wire. Here is a catalog page of theirs with Belden magnet wire listed:

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/629/852.pdf

I didn't get any hits with a Digikey search, but they may carry magnet wire as well.

4. Apr 4, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Actually, I just now used the Belden part number for 26AWG (8053) at Findchips.com, and got lots of hits. That's a generic enough number that most of the hits are for other stuff, but it does show that a number of distributors carry the Belden magnet wire.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?