1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources for quantum mechanics?

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to know if any of you knows very good sources for quantum mechanics and spectroscopy fundamentals, like greats books, youtube videos (lectures), or any other option. I' m studying spectroscopy at the moment, and last year I've done the Physical Chemistry II course ( quantum part), but I'm really heavily struggling with understanding and remembering things... I've absorbed a few concepts, but it seems like after a few months I forget lots of notions, and when I go back revising them, it's like doing them kinda all over again, and that makes the study of spectroscopy even harder. I'd like to hear if any of you succeeded understanding deeply this field, and how did you do it. Any advice is really appreciated :smile:

P.s. I've seen tons of material and books for both courses, but I didn't find anyone of them explaining things in an efficient way to me, they're always taking some things for granted.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2
  4. Nov 27, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What books on QM have you tried and what sort of things do they take for granted?

5. Nov 27, 2016 #4
    I'll check it out, thanks!

I'm actually studying on "MODERN. SPECTROSCOPY. J. Michael Hollas" , and I used for the first course "Physical Chemistry: A Molecular Approach. Donald A. McQuarrie", and I checked out some info online. The first book, I found it very difficult because it doesn't explain why things are in certain way, besides the second one fills this gap, and explains things from a conceptual perspective, not only with tons of mathematic equations and laws, but it doesn't cover really well spectroscopy (there are only 2 chapters about it and not very detailed). I was thinking about a third one, "Fundamentals of spectroscopy (Banwell) " , I think I'm going to try it, but I'm afraid that it will be like the "Hollas" one. I essentially need a book that explains, beside laws and equations, the things from a conceptual point of view (for example, ways with which I can imagine concepts or visualize them, practical examples of things similar to some particles behavior, or regarding the angular momentum, how can i visualize it if it's possible, and how we get to the formulas of coupling momenta, and lots of other things). I know that it is difficult with quantum mechanics because some things don't have anything that can be related to in real life, but I've often found luckily some good examples that got stuck in mind, and I still use to visualize and remember concepts.

6. Nov 28, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

7. Nov 28, 2016 #6
  8. Nov 28, 2016 #7
    Atkins other book which must have sold millions "physical chemistry" also has a few chapters on this topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted