1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources of error when measuring the Boltzmann constant

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    I have carried out this experiment in the lab, trying to estimate Boltzmann's constant from observation of Brownian motion:

http://usm.maine.edu/~pauln/BrownianMotion/BrownianFinal.pdf [Broken]

The real value of kT at room temperature, is approximately 4.00E-21, while I get 5.00E-21 and 1.56E-20 in the X and Y direction, respectively.

I have two questions:

1 .When calculating kT for two dimensions, should I take the mean of the values for X and Y, or the root of the sum of the values squared?

2. The result in the Y direction is way too high, and must be due to particle flow. I've heard that the sources of error can be small air bubbles in the dimple, but why? And are there other possible sources of error?

3. Why is it that the experiment gives reasonable k-values when using the 20X magnification lens, but inconsistent k-values when using the 10X and the 40X lens?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted