1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sources of information on container emptying dynamics?

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    Hi everyone:

Please forgive me for what is probably a clumsily-worded question!

I am interested in using products of suddenly emptied containers to find out about the emptying process and what the structure of the container was like prior to emptying.

For example, imagine there is a container filled with some kind of mixture that is not uniform in the container. Then suddenly, the mixture leaves the container and forms a stratified product outside. During emptying, there may have been mixing. So that the product does not represent a simple inversion of what was initially in the container.

How can I reconstruct the initial container structure from the product? Would this even be possible? Is there a name for this kind of process? I'm not having any luck in finding information because I don't really know what to search for. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted