Sources of non-linearity in detector

In summary, possible sources of non-linear behavior in the basic setup of a photo-detector coupled with an amplifier include amplification of background noise, saturation effects of the amplifier and detector, and dead-time effects. It is important to consider these factors when working with photodetectors and to be aware of their potential impact on the accuracy of measurements. Additional resources for further reading on this topic can be found in the GP section.
Thinkmarble
Basic setup is a photo-detector coupeled with an amplifier.
Questions is what are possible sources of non-linear behaviour ?
Now, one possible source is obviously the amplification of background noise, but what other sources are there ?
Alternatively could one give me a book or website to read up on it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinkmarble said:
Basic setup is a photo-detector coupeled with an amplifier.
Questions is what are possible sources of non-linear behaviour ?
Now, one possible source is obviously the amplification of background noise, but what other sources are there ?

Background is usually not considered a "nonlinearity".
I'd think more in terms of saturation effects, both of the amplifier and the detector, dead-time effects (depends on exactly how it is read out...)

BTW, I think I move this to GP section, as this doesn't really sound like a homework/textbook problem.

The detector in question works at the lower detection limit (which is usuall given by the background noise, correct ?)
Deadtime is an saturation effect as far as I understand, playing a role at hight intensities.

What kind of photodetector? PIN photodiode, PMT, etc.?

1. What is non-linearity in a detector?

Non-linearity in a detector refers to the deviation of the detector's response from a linear relationship with the input signal. In other words, the output signal is not directly proportional to the input signal.

2. What are the common sources of non-linearity in detectors?

The most common sources of non-linearity in detectors include variations in the detector's physical properties, such as temperature or pressure, as well as imperfections in the detector's design or manufacturing process. External factors, such as noise or interference, can also contribute to non-linearity.

3. How does non-linearity affect the accuracy of a detector?

Non-linearity can significantly impact the accuracy of a detector, as it can cause the output signal to deviate from the true value of the input signal. This can lead to incorrect measurements and inaccurate results.

4. Can non-linearity be corrected in detectors?

Yes, non-linearity can be corrected in detectors. This can be done through calibration, where the detector's response is compared to a known reference signal and adjustments are made to the output signal to improve linearity.

5. Are there any ways to reduce non-linearity in detectors?

There are several ways to reduce non-linearity in detectors, such as using high-quality materials and components, implementing proper design and manufacturing processes, and minimizing external factors that can affect the detector's performance. Regular calibration and maintenance can also help to reduce non-linearity in detectors.