Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Southern Baptist Family Values - Women Should Submit Graciously to Husbands ?

1. Nov 19, 2005 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Southern Baptist Family Values - "Women Should Submit Graciously to Husbands"?

A resolution by the 16-million-member Southern Baptist Convention declares that a wife should "submit herself graciously" to her husband's guidance.
    SBC has removed women from top executive posts in the SBC.

NPR.org, November 4, 2005 ·
    A Former President Warns of 'Endangered Values'
    by Terry Gross and Steve Inskeep
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4984885

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2005 #2
    Man...

When I read the title of this thread, I didn't know what SBC stood for. I thought that it was probabally the abbreviation for the majority party in Iraq's congress or something...

4. Nov 19, 2005 #3

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I thought you were talking about the phone company.

5. Nov 19, 2005 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

I know a place where these guys could live happily ever after – Afghanistan.

6. Nov 19, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: me too. I read the title and thought to myself "...... well this is going to be interesting"

7. Nov 19, 2005 #6

Art

Okay - So not everything about religion is bad :biggrin:

8. Nov 19, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

God Art, you're just asking for a ban :P Let's hope evo doesn't see this thread.... someoen conceal it.

9. Nov 19, 2005 #8

Art

Ooops I thought I'd only thought that, I didn't know I'd posted it. Doh!!! :biggrin:

10. Nov 19, 2005 #9

Astronuc

I tried to change the title, but only changed it in the OP title, not the main one seen in the forum. Sorry, it is a bit confusing.

In retrospect, I should have deleted it, but wasteofo2 had already responded.

Maybe a supermentor can modify the title using their superpowers. :biggrin:

11. Nov 19, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"submit herself graciously" to her husband's guidance...

What universe was that again? I think I took a left instead of a right :biggrin:

12. Nov 19, 2005 #11
    Is this about some sort of Dominance/Submissive fetish? :biggrin:

13. Nov 19, 2005 #12
    *scrambles to say somehing before the thread is closed* errr... ah, its not really a bad thing you know, consider how many cold, narcissistic, man-castrating feminists I have seen (from another board) :biggrin:

14. Nov 19, 2005 #13
    I googled this and found an AP article regarding this resolution from 1998. It seems like old news, unless there has been a new development.

15. Nov 19, 2005 #14

Astronuc

Yes, it is old news, but then these are the folks supporting president Bush.

President Carter and his wife left the SBC because they objected to such policies.

The SBC went on to remove women from positions of authority in SBC.

16. Nov 20, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, my experience as a Mormon was interesting in this regard. They have very definite beliefs about a womans' role in life, but men as well, and each is valued in their own right. Still, I found it all rather amazing to say the least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?