Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Southern California is burning!

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...2,1,3236850.story?coll=la-headlines-frontpage

INCREDIBLE!!! Those winds are very hot, very dry, and fire responders are calling the conditions unprecedented in their experience.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I heard about that earlier today.

I was out in SD after they had those big fires a few years back. It was bad. The fire came within a couple of hundred meters of the home of one my colleagues. Several houses in the neighborhood burned down completely. It was amazing to see some lots completely empty while right next door on either side the houses remained intact with very little damage. Basically those home without fire resistant roofing were gonners.

100 mph winds though! That's severe, especially with dry grass land.

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

250,000 people are being evacuated in the SD area.

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4

Art

I saw that report on BBC news. Where will they move that many people to? The report didn't say.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  6. Oct 22, 2007 #5

Astronuc

Oh, man! My colleague is overseas this week and his wife and kids are on their own! :frown:

7. Oct 22, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess Poway has been hit hard, and they are evacuating another 15,000 [265,000 so far], but I don't know from where. The football stadium is being used as a shelter and the hotels are all booked.

Firefighters are talking about the winds changing tomorrow at 3PM. But, they add, if the winds keep up, some fires could burn all the way to the ocean.

8. Oct 22, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Santa Anas seem calmer today. I am not near any fires but my eyes are stinging from the smoke. My little brother got hustled out of Pepperdine early yesterday morning. His team was down there for a water polo match.

9. Oct 22, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Oh, Nuts! That's were a couple of colleagues live.

Just found out they evacuated earlier today. Poway has apparently lost about 70 homes. :frown:

About half the folks (those living north) in the company are affected. :frown:

10. Oct 22, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MIH, is Pepperdine still evacuated? I read some reports that they were evacuated, then others that they weren't, but had moved the students all to one building considered to be on a "safe" part of campus, and then some said they were evacuated but then the evacuation was lifted. I can't figure out what's going on there.

Hopefully the winds will ease by tomorrow as predicted and they'll gain some control over this monster so people can start returning to their homes. It's pretty scary sounding when they're still saying 0% containment after several days of fighting it. I've NEVER heard a report say 0% containment before.

I can't believe there are morons who didn't evacuate and the firefighters are wasting resources saving those people's butts rather than fighting the fires. One guy sounded totally nonchalant about that, saying he just decided to duck when they came by and sat and had a beer while waiting. :bugeye: Sometimes I just think in situations like that, they should leave a big sign on the front door after they've been through that they were there, anyone returning to the home should leave, and that they won't be back...if you ignore the cops coming door-to-door telling you to evacuate, you're on your own.

11. Oct 22, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just talked with my aunt in Huntington Beach as I couldn't get through to my cousin near San Diego. My cousin is okay but has evacuees in her home. The weather reports are now saying that the winds won't let up until Wednesday. It sounds like Fallbrook was hit or at least evacuated, and there is talk of evacuating Camp Pendleton.

12. Oct 22, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not sure if they all got transported out yesterday, but if they did, they're back now. Classes are cancelled for tomorrow, and they've asked everyone on campus to stay put.

13. Oct 22, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just had another call. Apparently part of Pepperdine burned.

14. Oct 23, 2007 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This last week my son, his wife and their 5mo old son were visiting. They flew out of Pdx Saturday to visit my ex in laws (his maternal grandparents) in San Diego. I just talked to him. His uncle and family have been evacutated and are uncertian as to the fate of their home. Currently all are well and staying with the grand parents.

15. Oct 23, 2007 #14
    no wonder its been so dry down here the last few days!

16. Oct 23, 2007 #15

J77

17. Oct 23, 2007 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The news coverage this morning looks just as bleak. Actually, worse, because there are more and more displaced people evacuated from their homes. They said even 8-lane highways aren't stopping these fires! The winds are whipping them up so high that the embers are jumping right over. :bugeye:

As they were showing photos, you could just see as houses flared up in the middle of the flames. They were interviewing a firefighter, and you can tell this is really taking it's toll on them too...not just physically from fighting the fires, but emotionally, knowing that the people who are losing their homes don't even know they've lost them yet, and how hard it's going to be on them when they find out they've lost everything.

I had already heard over the weekend that one of the fires was started by downed power lines, but heard today that a second one that has contributed to these fires is suspected arson!

18. Oct 23, 2007 #17

Evo

The news is saying that only the first fire in Malibu was from downed power lines, the rest appear to be arson. I hope they find the criminals responsible.

19. Oct 23, 2007 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't heard anything about a fire on the Pepperdine campus yet - only that a Hughes Labs building and a Presbyterian church that were nearby were lost.

I am worried about Zooby's brush shelter.

20. Oct 23, 2007 #19
    Thanks Math. So far no immediate threats to the city, itself though one large fire is moving toward Chula Vista which is south of San Diego.

21. Oct 23, 2007 #20

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?