What should I observe in Southern Skies during my trip to South Africa?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, Dave plans to see the Small Magellanic Cloud, Crux, Coal Sack and Jewel Box, Omega Centauri Globular Cluster, Centaurus A Radio Galaxy, 47 Tuc, the Tarantula Nebula, and the MeerKAT telescope.
russ_watters
Mentor
Next week, I'll be traveling on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to South Africa. I'll have with me a nice pair of compact binoculars, a 60mm 20-60x zoom spotting scope and a nice superzoom point and shoot camera. I'm looking for advice on things to see. So far, I have:

-The Small and Large Magellanic Clouds
-Crux
-Coal Sack and Jewel Box
-Omega Centauri Globular Cluster

Other suggestions?!

Likes Fervent Freyja and davenn
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Next week, I'll be traveling on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to South Africa. I'll have with me a nice pair of compact binoculars, a 60mm 20-60x zoom spotting scope and a nice superzoom point and shoot camera. I'm looking for advice on things to see. So far, I have:

-The Small and Large Magellanic Clouds
-Crux
-Coal Sack and Jewel Box
-Omega Centauri Globular Cluster

Other suggestions?!
awesome :smile: Was in Uganda and South Africa myself a few months ago

There is also the Eta Carina nebula not far from the southern Cross (Crux), huge nebula, pretty much naked eye from a dark site
close to Omega Centauri globular, there is the Centaurus A radio galaxy ... tho may a bit tough with what you have
you mite just visually see it from a dark site

ummm ...
not sure if NGC 253 is above the horizon yet in the late evening ... very large edge on galaxy
47 Tuc bright globular cluster close to the SMC
NGC2070 the Tarantula nebula at one end of the LMCthere's a few off the top of my head :smile:Dave

Unfortunately you'll be too early to see a big (complete) MeerKAT.

Likes 1oldman2 and davenn
Borg said:
Unfortunately you'll be too early to see a big (complete) MeerKAT.

cool !

Astronuc said:
Apparently, one can get a good look at the Milky Way.

indeed
at the moment and around 8 - 9PM the Milky Way is overhead
a deckchair and a pair of binoculars are ideal for slowly working along all the objects in the Milky WayDave

Likes Astronuc and 1oldman2
I was looking at http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160725.html and got linked here.
3772-84mcnaught_druckmuller720.jpg
:smile:

Likes Astronuc
BusySkyArgentina_Montefar_1080_annotated.jpg
:smile::smile:

1. What is Southern Skies Observing?

Southern Skies Observing is an organization that specializes in observing and studying astronomical phenomena in the southern hemisphere.

2. What types of observations do you make?

We observe a variety of celestial objects, including stars, planets, galaxies, and nebulae. We also monitor changes in the night sky and study the effects of natural and man-made phenomena on these objects.

3. How do you conduct your observations?

We use a variety of tools and techniques, including telescopes, cameras, and specialized software, to collect and analyze data. We also collaborate with other organizations and researchers to enhance our observations and interpretations.

4. What makes Southern Skies Observing unique?

As we focus specifically on the southern hemisphere, we have access to a different perspective and set of objects than other organizations that primarily observe in the northern hemisphere. Additionally, our team is made up of expert scientists and researchers with diverse backgrounds and specialties.

5. How can I get involved with Southern Skies Observing?

We welcome anyone with a passion for astronomy and a desire to contribute to our research to get involved with our organization. You can join as a volunteer, donate to support our work, or participate in our educational programs and events. Follow us on social media and check our website for updates and opportunities.

Back